jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Which was your favorite 1980s New Wave group?

1. midget38 profile image93
    midget38posted 4 years ago

Which was your favorite 1980s New Wave group?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image100
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

I was always partial to Devo. They were very strange, but fascinating in a creepy sort of way.
    It wasn't till years later that I read up on some of their "De-evolution" theory and realized that they were actually a pretty subversive band, disguised as a pop group.

3. Rosana Modugno profile image84
    Rosana Modugnoposted 4 years ago

You're killing me.  I had so many.  First of all, I was a hair band girl but I did go through my new wave phase.  I loved The Cure, I guess they were my favorite since I had most of their cassette tapes in my car...cassettes. LOL

But I also loved The Cult, B-52's, Psychedelic Furs, The Smiths, and of course Culture Club.

4. The Public Image profile image81
    The Public Imageposted 4 years ago

I would personally choose the Police, who perfectly embodied the New Wave genre. By combining solid musical chops, a bit of punky restraint, simple yet well-crafted pop songs, a willingness to explore new technological avenues and a healthy dose of image, this power trio really defined the sound of the 1980s--and they disbanded three years into the decade! I would argue that any band that could be an influence on acts as disparate as U2, Rush, and several hip-hop stars speaks volumes.

working