jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

David Letterman announced that he will be retiring. First impressions? Reactions

1. Marisaupa profile image59
    Marisaupaposted 3 years ago

David Letterman announced that he will be retiring. First impressions? Reactions?

A constant on late night TV since 1982, does Letterman's announced departure sadden you? Or, do you think the time is right? Perhaps, you feel his relevancy had already diminished. Whatever your thoughts... share them

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8863457_f260.jpg

2. FatFreddysCat profile image100
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

I always liked Dave, being from the East Coast he was "our" guy  (Carson, and later Leno, were too "Hollywood.")
    I haven't watched his show regularly since the early 90s when he first made the switch to CBS. His "Top Ten" was "appointment viewing" back then.
    First Jay Leno hangs it up, and now Dave ...it really is the end of an era!!

Marisaupaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It was in Dave's transition to 11:30, when he went to CBS after not getting the "Tonight Show," that I believe he lost that must see irreverence that he had when he pioneered the "Late Night" franchise on NBC.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

I think the timing is right. With Jay Leno gone Dave is the last of a generation still in the late night wars. Both Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel are beating his ratings numbers on regular basis. It's time for him and CBS to pass the baton on to the next generation.

It would be hilarious, however, to see Jay Leno somehow worm himself into being Dave's replacement.

4. Opining Penguin profile image61
    Opining Penguinposted 3 years ago

I'd say the time is right. It's a new era for late night shows and Dave is the last of the old breed. That said I will be interested to see who takes over his time slot. I've always been a fan of Craig Ferguson and he seems like a natural fit, but there are so many other options who knows...

I wonder if this would open up the possibility of a second chance for Conan in the 11:30 slot on a major network. His TBS contract also expires in 2015.

5. sadstill22 profile image60
    sadstill22posted 3 years ago

he should retired, he is old, let new freshman get in

working