What would you consider the Best Film of All Time to be?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. johndwilliams profile image87
    johndwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What would you consider the Best Film of All Time to be?

Can be any Genre and any industry i.e. Hollywood, Bollywood, World Cinema.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12012759_f260.jpg

2. C.V.Rajan profile image61
    C.V.Rajanposted 3 years ago

In Hollywood films, I felt Avatar to be one such.

It is difficult to select just one. There will be several outstanding movies from various languages across the world.

People's tastes vary.

1. Reynold Jay profile image80
      Reynold Jayposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Avatar is the clear winner so let's jump to others. It is personal as we all have our favorites. For me Groundhog Day deserves replacing  Casablanca as the #1 classic of all time. I can say that Wizard of Oz and Oz the Great and Powerful win too.

2. Discordzrocks profile image78
      Discordzrocksposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Avatar sucks, I accept that some people like its effects, but definitely not better than The Godfather.

3. Twilight Lawns profile image81
    Twilight Lawnsposted 3 years ago

Does it have to be the best, or will you accept some of the best?
    If the latter, my favourite film of all time must be the Merchant Ivory version of ‘A Room With A View’.
    ‘Cinema Paradiso’:a stunningly beautiful Italian film directed by Giuseppe Tornatore.
    'The Night of the Shooting Stars' (AKA in Italian: La Notte di San Lorenzo, also known as The Night of San Lorenzo) directed by Paolo Taviani and Vittorio Taviani.
    'Ein Lied von Liebe und Tod' (Gloomy Sunday – A Song of Love and Death, Hungarian: Szomorú vasárnap) which is a German/Hungarian co-production.
    'La Dolce Vita' (Italian - "the sweet life" or "the good life") written and directed by Italian director Federico Fellini
    'Dangerous Liaisons': a film based on Christopher Hampton's play ‘Les Liaisons Dangereuses’, which in turn was a theatrical adaptation of the 18th-century French novel ‘Les Liaisons Dangereuses’ by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos, directed by Stephen Frears.
    'Cyrano de Bergerac': a French film directed by Jean-Paul Rappeneau and based on the play of the same name by Edmond Rostand, adapted by Jean-Claude Carrière and Rappeneau.
    'Evita': a 1996 American film based on Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical of the same name about Eva Perón. Directed by Alan Parker and written by Parker and Oliver Stone,
    I could go on.

1. johndwilliams profile image87
      johndwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That is an impressive list - I have most of the Italian classics you mentioned under my belt except The Night of the Shooting Stars - I will look into this one for my film time

2. Twilight Lawns profile image81
      Twilight Lawnsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I hope you like it as much as I.  I love the Taviani brothers' works.  Their anti war movies are stunning and heart rending.  Try 'Good Morning Babylon' also.  It is superb.

4. SteveSunpire profile image80
    SteveSunpireposted 2 years ago

For me it would have to be one of these three...

Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)
    THX1138  (1971)  though I would select the 2004 director's cut with added CGI.
    Metropolis (1927)

I love films that can tell a story without words, however its all about preference.
    I chose two obscure one's but to be honest its an impossible question.

As you can see I selected all sci-fi films, however there are to many awesome films to pick...
    And its not a matter of being perfect as perfection is unattainable, you ask for the film I believe to be the best, my answer reflects my personality today but tomorrow who knows.

The question... What would you consider the Best Film of All Time to be? any film that can make me feel something, be it joy or sadness.

5. asifahsankhan profile image61
    asifahsankhanposted 20 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13323194_f260.jpg

The best one? I can't even decide that for myself. Naming just "One" will never satisfy anybody. So... Here's the three best from three different categories/genres:

Film Series:

1. The Godfather (1,2,3) 1972 USA, Francis Ford Coppola;
    2. The Lord of the Rings (1,2,3) 2001 NZE, Peter Jackson;
    3. Star Wars (1,2,3,4,5,6) 1977 USA, George Lucas.

From the Classic era: The Gold Rush (1925) - slapstick silent masterpiece starring Sir. Charlie Chaplin - at his best!

From the not so Classic era:

1. "Vertigo" 1958, Or "The 39 Steps" - 1935 both directed by Alfred Hitchcock.
    2. "Citizen Kane" Orson Welles, 1941.
    3. "The Third Man" 1949, Great British film noir, directed by Carol Reed.

Best Foreign Film: (Non-English)

1. "Tokyo Story" 1953, directed by Yasujirō Ozu;  (Japanese) - Nothing will top this one!

Others:

Animation: Toy Story (1995)
    Comic/superhero The Dark Knight (2008)
    Courtroom: 12 Angry Men (1957)
    Historical: Schindler's List (1993)
    War: Paths of Glory (1957) - Because it's more controversial than Saving Private Ryan (1997)
    Horror: The Exorcist (1973)

Best Comedy: "Monty Python's Life of Brian" (1979) Or "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" (1975) Or "Airplane!" (1980) - Because of the legacies.

Western: "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly", 1966 Italian epic Spaghetti Western film directed by Sergio Leone.

6. profile image52
    Sean Harrisonposted 10 months ago

I always had an affinity for both Akira Kurosawa and William Shakespeare, so my personal favorite of all time is "Throne of Blood."  For those unfamiliar with this movie, it is a retelling of "Macbeth" but set in feudal Japan.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)