What famous person have you met personally?
I don't mean someone you saw at a concert or public event, but someone who was close enough to shake hands with or to exchange a few words.
Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch
And thats just a few.
The ex England cricketer Ian Botham sometimes shops in the Supermarket where I work. But I'm not one to just walk up to them and talk. I will always give them their privacy as that is how it should be.
That's quite a few-- sorry I've never heard of any of them.
There all UK based. A friend of my grans worked at the local theater and so I always got chance to get the stars autographs and find out when they would be at the stage door
I'm sure it was a great experience in every case, and I agree that privacy is an issue to be respected.
That's quite a list! The Monkeys were amongst my favourites. Helen Shapiro has a great voice; I believe she does a lot of jazz these days.
Archibald Cox who was a Special Prosecutor during Watergate. My husband was giving me a tour of Harvard Law School where he had just started school the previous September and Mr. Cox happened to be in his office located in the Library at HLS, so my husband introduced us. Yes, Mr. Cox did shake my hand and say, nice to meet you. He mainly spoke to my husband. He seemed like an ordinary person, no airs, despite his grand career both before and after Watergate.
I used to work at a thrift store and once I picked up some items from Tim O'Brien. Don't know if he us super-famous, but he is considered to be a highly acclaimed author. He had two absolutely adorable children and a beautiful wife, and all of them were as nice as could be, and genuinely so. It was around Christmas and they gave me a little bag of cookies as I was leaving. All around a total class act.
At the time I had no idea who he was, but I knew from meeting him that he must have done something amazing with his life, so I looked him up afterwards.
Mostly musicians and a couple of other random showbiz types...
Adam "Batman" West
Peter Criss of KISS
Joey, Johnny, Marky and C.J. Ramone
Joey Belladonna of Anthrax
Dave Mustaine of Megadeth
Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth and Bobby Gustafson of Overkill
Steven Adler (former Guns N Roses drummer)
Chris Caffery (Savatage/Trans-Siberian Orchestra guitarist)
John Gallagher (bassist/vocalist of Raven)
Gary Cherone (lead singer of Extreme)
Richard Hatch (aka "Captain Apollo" from the 70s "Battlestar Galactica" TV show)
Mike Reiss (writer/producer of "The Simpsons")
Almost forgot - when I was around 12 or 13 I met George Gately, the cartoonist who drew the "Heathcliff" comic strip. He was my first "celebrity" meeting (and I still have the "Heathcliff" paperback that he autographed with his name & a sketch!)
I used to be a costume designer for stage, so...
Joe Mantello (before he was famous)
Johnathan Penner (before he was famous)
Martin Pakeledinaz (before he won his Tonys)
Jose Greco & Nana Lorca
That's all I can think of at the moment. My biggest "oh my god" brush with fame was while I was shopping at International Silks one afternoon, and Diana Ross came in with her costume design team, to look at the uber-expensive fabrics upstairs. She walked by and said hello, and I was absolutely speechless. She was stunning.
Two....Jimi Hendrix while I was working backstage at the Fillmore in San Francisco, and Ted Bundy, who was our paper boy when I was a kid.
I met Sir Peter Scott at his second wildlife reserve in Arundel, Sussex, England. He was with his wife Philippa and it wasn't long before he died. I am from that neck of the woods and my parents used to live near his original wildlife sanctuary, Slimbridge, in Gloucestershire.
Peter Scott was an accomplished artist too and was brother to Scott of the Antarctic. We said hello and he signed the pamphlets we had, for my goddaughter and her brother who were with me. I was delighted. A gentle and kind man who did so much for wild birds, offering sanctuary in passage and a home for those who wanted to stay.
Woodward Maurice Ritter, better known as Tex Ritter, he was in the market for a new home, and was looking at my parents home when I was a little boy, and came into my bedroom to see what it look like; I was still in bed, we had a nice chat about cowboys, Indians and horses, he was a very nice friendly man.
well not recently but many years ago. I saw a Singapore Celebrity who passed by me when I was walking near a cake shop. He became a monk after he quit being an actor.
* Ronald Reagan when he was President and I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Grenada. We shook hands and I have a personalized photo with our group and him.
* Leonard Nemoy (Spock of the original Star Trek) having breakfast with his wife in a Hollywood restaurant when I was a teenager. I got his autograph.
* Leon Russell when a friend and I crashed his after-concert party on the Queen Mary. I'd heard George Harrison was there, but when I asked Leon about it he took my hand and told me George had been chased away by partiers wanting him to perform.
* Keith Mitchell, Prime Minister of Grenada for 13 years. I danced with him during Carnival before he was elected.
* Amy Goodman from Democracy Now! I met and took a photo with her at a Bioneers Conference.
* John Glenn, astronaut and U.S. presidential candidate. I was doing security backstage when the National Organization for Women hosted a presidential forum in the early 80's.
* Holly Near when she did a concert at my church in Pasadena this year.
* Ravi Shankar when he gave a sitar workshop at UCLA in the 60's. My father was studying ethnomusicology at the time and took me with him to the workshop. I was fifteen.
* Sir Seretse Khama, first president of Botswana and respected Southern African diplomat. My boss was a good friend of his and introduced us in the 70's.
* Eleanor Smeal who started the National Organization for Women. I used to photograph NOW conferences and sold some to her.
* Betty Friedan, writer and political activist. Met her at a NOW conference in the 80's.
Would Prince Phillip count if he smiled and waved to two friends and me as he and the queen drove by? We were the only ones on the street (lol).
by Susie Lehto6 months ago
Judge Andrew Napolitano said, “The significance is an FBI acknowledgement that Huma Abedin, Mrs. Anthony Weiner, when she had a top security clearance as the number two assistant to Hillary Clinton when Hillary was...
by donotfear8 years ago
Can be someone political, celebrity, world leader or inspiring. So who be it? (I met Robert Englund in 2004 while I participated as a contestant on his reality show which was never released by the network).
by GDiBiase6 years ago
Who is the most famous person you have ever met?
by Elena8 years ago
Have you met or seen a famous person in real life? How was it for you?
by jackavc7 years ago
Who is the most famous person you have met?
by nightwork45 years ago
Has anyone ever met a real christian?what I mean is have you met a person that actually goes by what the religion teaches. a person that doesn't lie, judge,steal,isn't vain,loves thy neighbor, etc., etc., because I...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.