jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)

What famous person have you met personally?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 2 years ago

What famous person have you met personally?

I don't mean someone you saw at a concert or public event, but someone who was close enough to shake hands with or to exchange a few words.

2. brutishspoon profile image66
    brutishspoonposted 2 years ago

Helen Shapiro
    Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch
    Linda Lusardi
    Jim Bowen

And thats just a few.

The ex England cricketer Ian Botham sometimes shops in the Supermarket where I work. But I'm not one to just walk up to them and talk. I will always give them their privacy as that is how it should be.

Rochelle Frankposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That's quite a few-- sorry I've never heard of any of them.

2. brutishspoon profile image66
      brutishspoonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

There all UK based. A friend of my grans worked at the local theater and so I always got chance to get the stars autographs and find out when they would be at the stage door

3. Rochelle Frank profile image95

I'm sure it was a great experience in every case, and I agree that privacy is an issue to be respected.

4. annart profile image86
      annartposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That's quite a list!  The Monkeys were amongst my favourites.  Helen Shapiro has a great voice; I believe she does a lot of jazz these days.

3. Au fait profile image92
    Au faitposted 2 years ago

Archibald Cox who was a Special Prosecutor during Watergate.  My husband was giving me a tour of Harvard Law School where he had just started school the previous September and Mr. Cox happened to be in his office located in the Library at HLS, so my husband introduced us.  Yes, Mr. Cox did shake my hand and say, nice to meet you.  He mainly spoke to my husband.  He seemed like an ordinary person, no airs, despite his grand career both before and after Watergate.

The name is familiar to me. I think "celebrities" who are not entertainers (or politicians) tend to be more like "ordinary" people.

4. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 2 years ago

I used to work at a thrift store and once I picked up some items from Tim O'Brien. Don't know if he us super-famous, but he is considered to be a highly acclaimed author. He had two absolutely adorable children and a beautiful wife, and all of them were as nice as could be, and genuinely so. It was around Christmas and they gave me a little bag of cookies as I was leaving. All around a total class act.

At the time I had no idea who he was, but I knew from meeting him that he must have done something amazing with his life, so I looked him up afterwards.

Cool! And keeping a low profile at the thrift store, too.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

Mostly musicians and a couple of other random showbiz types...
    Adam "Batman" West
    Peter Criss of KISS
    Joey, Johnny, Marky and C.J. Ramone
    Joey Belladonna of Anthrax
    Dave Mustaine of Megadeth
    Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth and Bobby Gustafson of Overkill
    Steven Adler (former Guns N Roses drummer)
    Chris Caffery (Savatage/Trans-Siberian Orchestra guitarist)
    John Gallagher (bassist/vocalist of Raven)
    Gary Cherone (lead singer of Extreme)
    Richard Hatch (aka "Captain Apollo" from the 70s "Battlestar Galactica" TV show)
    Mike Reiss (writer/producer of "The Simpsons")

1. FatFreddysCat profile image99
      FatFreddysCatposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Almost forgot - when I was around 12 or 13 I met George Gately, the cartoonist who drew the "Heathcliff" comic strip. He was my first "celebrity" meeting (and I still have the "Heathcliff" paperback that he autographed with his name & a sketch!)

6. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

I used to be a costume designer for stage, so...
    Christopher Walken
    Mikhail Baryshnikov
    Kelly McGillis
    Hal Holbrook
    Joe Mantello (before he was famous)
    Tim Guinee
    Johnathan Penner (before he was famous)
    Martin Pakeledinaz (before he won his Tonys)
    Roma Maffia
    Jane Fonda
    Jose Greco & Nana Lorca

That's all I can think of at the moment. My biggest "oh my god" brush with fame was while I was shopping at International Silks one afternoon, and Diana Ross came in with her costume design team, to look at the uber-expensive fabrics upstairs. She walked by and said hello, and I was absolutely speechless. She was stunning.

Impressive list.

7. billybuc profile image87
    billybucposted 2 years ago

Two....Jimi Hendrix while I was working backstage at the Fillmore in San Francisco, and Ted Bundy, who was our paper boy when I was a kid.

Wow.. and Whoa!

8. annart profile image86
    annartposted 2 years ago

I met Sir Peter Scott at his second wildlife reserve in Arundel, Sussex, England.  He was with his wife Philippa and it wasn't long before he died.  I am from that neck of the woods and my parents used to live near his original wildlife sanctuary, Slimbridge, in Gloucestershire. 
    Peter Scott was an accomplished artist too and was brother to Scott of the Antarctic.  We said hello and he signed the pamphlets we had, for my goddaughter and her brother who were with me.  I was delighted.  A gentle and kind man who did so much for wild birds, offering sanctuary in passage and a home for those who wanted to stay.

1. annart profile image86
      annartposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, should have said SON of Scott of the Antarctic!  Also, his godfather was JM Barrie who wrote 'Peter Pan'.

9. Glenn Waters profile image90
    Glenn Watersposted 2 years ago

Woodward Maurice Ritter, better known as Tex Ritter, he was in the market for a new home, and was looking at my parents home when I was a little boy, and came into my bedroom to see what it look like; I was still in bed, we had a nice chat about cowboys, Indians and horses, he was a very nice friendly man.

It' nice when a celeb takes time to talk to a child. Vaughn Monroe, a famous singer of the old days, said hello to me  in a Vegas hotel lobby. I was about ten and probably staring.

10. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

well not recently but many years ago. I saw a Singapore Celebrity who passed by me when I was walking near a cake shop. He became a monk after he quit being an actor.

11. watergeek profile image96
    watergeekposted 2 years ago

* Ronald Reagan when he was President and I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Grenada. We shook hands and I have a personalized photo with our group and him.
    * Leonard Nemoy (Spock of the original Star Trek) having breakfast with his wife in a Hollywood restaurant when I was a teenager. I got his autograph.
    * Leon Russell when a friend and I crashed his after-concert party on the Queen Mary. I'd heard George Harrison was there, but when I asked Leon about it he took my hand and told me George had been chased away by partiers wanting him to perform.
    * Keith Mitchell, Prime Minister of Grenada for 13 years. I danced with him during Carnival before he was elected.
    * Amy Goodman from Democracy Now!  I met and took a photo with her at a Bioneers Conference.
    * John Glenn, astronaut and U.S. presidential candidate. I was doing security backstage when the National Organization for Women hosted a presidential forum in the early 80's.
    * Holly Near when she did a concert at my church in Pasadena this year.
    * Ravi Shankar when he gave a sitar workshop at UCLA in the 60's. My father was studying ethnomusicology at the time and took me with him to the workshop. I was fifteen.
    * Sir Seretse Khama, first president of Botswana and respected Southern African diplomat. My boss was a good friend of his and introduced us in the 70's.
    * Eleanor Smeal who started the National Organization for Women. I used to photograph NOW conferences and sold some to her.
    * Betty Friedan, writer and political activist. Met her at a NOW conference in the 80's.

Would Prince Phillip count if he smiled and waved to two friends and me as he and the queen drove by? We were the only ones on the street (lol).

Great list. You have had an interesting life.

working