jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

As a Christian is it ok to take your kids trick or treating for fun of dressing

1. landensnana profile image59
    landensnanaposted 2 years ago

As a Christian is it ok to take your kids trick or treating for fun of dressing up and candy

I'm a Christian and have taken my kids when they were younger.... We didn't go because to worship evil we went for fun and dressed up cute...

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12722240_f260.jpg

2. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

"Worship evil? " Seriously? (snort)
    Jesus likes Snickers bars just as much as the next guy.

landensnanaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Didn't mean it like that... Just saying most think everything is black and white ... No gray... Right or wrong no in between ...I enjoyed taking my kids trick or treating and dressing up.. I still do with my grandkids...

3. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

Halloween has nothing to do with worshiping evil. It's based on the pagan celebration of Samhain, when the veil between this world and the next thins, and the dead revisit their earthly homes.

I'm assuming that, since you're Christian, you won't ever teach your children that dressing up in costumes and knocking on doors for candy is remotely related to a pagan celebration. They will probably never realize that they're appropriating another religion's sacred day, and trivializing it, so why not take the little darlings trick or treating?

See how injecting religion into things screws them up? It's a holiday about candy and dressing up for most kids. Let them have some fun!

landensnanaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Well my kids are grown but my grandkids go and have lots of fun... I don't see anything wrong with it... That it's a pagan holiday doesn't even cross my mind... I agree let them have fun...

2. Michaela Osiecki profile image78
      Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think trick or treating is actually more heavily related to the idea of "souling", which was introduced by the early Christian church - people would go door to door and pray for people in exchange for little biscuits called soul cakes.

3. lisavollrath profile image96
      lisavollrathposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Souling was done on this day because it was believed that the veil between this world and the next thinned at Samhain. Christians just overlayed their celebrations on the pagan calendar. Same with Easter and Christmas.

4. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

Actually i don't mind if my kids enjoy but malaysia kids don't wear customes and say trick or treat. My kids will be treated like aliens

working