jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do you watch Game of Thrones? If so, what do you like about it?

1. yecall profile image67
    yecallposted 21 months ago

Do you watch Game of Thrones? If so, what do you like about it?

2. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 21 months ago

There was a Cracked.com joke that Game of Thrones was fantasy - for adults!
    You get an interesting look at politics, scheming, plots. And unlike books for younger people, it often fails, regularly with horrific (and literally bloody) results.
    The question of who does what and what happens to them keeps many people reading, as well as the worry that George R R Martin may die before completing the book series.
    Who gets to sit on the Iron Throne? Who will stop the White Walkers? What is the epic finale dealing with dragons? Which prophecies are totally bunk, and which ones come true in weird ways?
    The analysis on Game of Thrones to try to answer some of these things is getting as nerdy as Tolkein fans.

3. Titen-Sxull profile image88
    Titen-Sxullposted 21 months ago

People keep trying to get me to watch it, but I don't have HBO and don't want to pay obscene prices to buy/rent the seasons/episodes individually - let alone the task of catching up with season after season of political intrigue, character deaths, and full frontal nudity. Frankly attempting to watch the show at this point sounds exhausting when my free time is already at a premium.

I have seen a few episodes, but since I am familiar with neither the lore or the characters or the political drama I find it mostly boring. The bad accents grow tiresome and confusing about what part of what world this is supposed to be. Who are these people? Why do I care? Why do they whisper in vague cryptic dialogue about alliances and betrayals and armies and wight walkers, etc.

Like I said getting invested in it at this point sounds like it would be completely exhausting and a waste of time considering that everyone I talk to who defends it also warns me that a lot of the episodes and even entire seasons are let downs (not that plenty of other shows aren't like that).

The few episodes I've seen left me uninspired about the show, I'm not sold on it. Maybe if it shows up on Netflix and I have the time I'd binge it just to see what all the fuss really is about.

1. Sandi Kroeger profile image80
      Sandi Kroegerposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I read all 5 of George R R Martin's books before HBO ever made them into a series. That's how I got hooked & now I stay hooked. I didn't have HBO for the first 3 seasons so I bought the DVDs and caught up. Once you start... it is addicting! :-)

working