jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What movie had an unexpected haunting effect on you? Tell us a little in how or

1. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 20 months ago

What movie had an unexpected haunting effect on you? Tell us a little in how or why....

For me the movie"Wild" just reminded me of the saying "because you can doesn't mean you should". What about you?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13063898_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 20 months ago

In recent years it was "Atonement". Most of the time I either enjoy a movie or don't enjoy a movie and that's about it. Rarely does one cause an extreme reaction but this one did. When I left that theater I absolutely hated that child and was thoroughly disgusted with the idea that she thought she could atone for her actions by writing a happy ending in a book.
    When I thought about it later I tried to figure out why I had the reaction I did and could only come up with the fact that it dealt with lying children that get believed no matter what. The other two movies I can think of right now that fall into the same category are "The Bad Seed" (1956) and a closer version "The Children's Hour" (1961).

1. threekeys profile image80
      threekeysposted 20 months agoin reply to this

What do you think it is cissy-nature or nurtue with the "bad seed"?
      With your experience do sociopaths get off scott free from the law?

2. profile image0
      Cissy1946posted 20 months agoin reply to this

Did you see the movie? She didn't get off at all but that's a movie. No, I don't think sociopaths get off scot-free but those are the one who break the law. All sociopaths aren't criminals, they're just scary.

3. Charlie LeSueur profile image81
      Charlie LeSueurposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Because of the motion picture code at the time, Patty McCormack as Rhoda Penmark couldn't get away with being "The Bad Seed," as she did on Broadway. The film ending was drastically altered with the far more disturbing finale of the play left behind.

3. Vernon Nugent profile image69
    Vernon Nugentposted 20 months ago

Fatal Desire,  based on the Sharee Miller-Bruce Miller murder case.   If he never met her he probably would be alive today. And how many women out there, on the internet, got away with the same thing?  That is the haunting element.

Another movie is Monster, based on the life of [serial killer?] Aileen Wuornos.  Wuornos was truly a demented person after years of abuse by men. It haunts me still,  to know that this woman never got the mental health help she needed, ever.

4. Charlie LeSueur profile image81
    Charlie LeSueurposted 20 months ago

While there are newer films that have disturbed me, the one that haunts me the most is an old B/W film, "Nora Prentiss" (1947) with Ann Sheridan and Kent Smith.This Film-Noir drama is so relentless in the downfall of the once stable family man, Dr. Talbot, that when you think nothing more can go wrong for this fallen man here comes something so much worse than before. By the end I just sat there stunned, not sure what I wanted to do next?
    While I don't want to put myself through "Nora Prentiss" again, I think that it should be experienced by classic film lovers, and those who study film, at least once. However, it's so unrelenting you may want to take a shower after watching it.

5. filmchick1987 profile image74
    filmchick1987posted 20 months ago

Into the Wild (Starring Emile Hirsch) - it left me with so many questions and deep thoughts. It was truly stunning.

working