What do you do when you find a bug in your salad at a restaurant?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 13 years ago

What do you do when you find a bug in your salad at a restaurant?

I just pull the bug out and eat the salad.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/3941748_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Amie Warrenposted 13 years ago

I very discreetly ask for a new salad. Bugs can carry all manner of germs on their bodies and feet.

3. KristenGrace profile image59
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

If I ever found a bug in my salad, I would most likely walk out, but probably not make a scene.  On a slight side note, my mom told me she was at a fast food place recently (won't say which one or where) and she saw a rat.  Um, ten times worse than the bug... Makes me shiver just thinking about it!

4. colonial82 profile image61
    colonial82posted 13 years ago

You need to tell your server and either order something else or leave the restaurant.  But you don't pay for that salad.

Have a good day.

5. profile image57
    SpaceAgeposted 13 years ago

If u find a bug in a salad in a restaurant, kindly show the waiter/waitress. B polite about it.

1. khcn18 profile image41
      khcn18posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for you

6. jrsearam profile image60
    jrsearamposted 13 years ago

Depends on the bug. Certain types can add to the culinary experience and practically all are highly nutritious.

7. diegosurfs1 profile image58
    diegosurfs1posted 13 years ago

I throw the food out and I get something else, and then I tell the employees to tell their manager to be more careful.

8. jasenpages profile image60
    jasenpagesposted 13 years ago

Call over the waiter and ask for a new meal, the new one should be comped by the restaurant.

9. Omairnabeel profile image43
    Omairnabeelposted 13 years ago

wowowo i iwll call my lawyer right away an sue that fiking hotel restrant and i will not pay or i will call the manager then tell him to eat it or i will sue you

10. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

It depends on the bug.  If it is a little green thing, I pluck it out and hope my wife does not notice, because she would get upset.  If it is very smail and green, I might even just eat it - but don't tell my wife!

We had a cockroach at Legal Seafoods once. We freaked and so did the management. They moved us instantly, comp'd some food and later we got apology letters from both LS  and their pest control company.  Good restaurants take that stuff very seriously. 

I found a clump of rodent hair in a McDonalds burger once. I had only opened it to add some ketchup; without that I would have bitten right in. It disgusted me so much I just walked out - I couldn't even bring myself to complain. Ughh!!!!

11. profile image52
    Lula Blummzposted 13 years ago

For the sake of your appetite (at least for most of us in this country), and the sake of the restaurant's reputation, speak up. As tactfully as possible, let your server know so they can resolve the issue. You will soon discover the ethics of the restaurant by how the issue of a bug in food is handled. If they handle it in a manner that leaves you with a good "taste" in your mouth, you are leaving happier... and speaking of the restaurant more highly too.

12. Edgaras profile image56
    Edgarasposted 13 years ago

I think I will take that nice cretures with me to home, and i will grow him.

13. soneblom profile image59
    soneblomposted 13 years ago

I would talk to the waiter and manager. ask for my money back and leave I,l never eat there again.

14. ross670daw profile image61
    ross670dawposted 13 years ago

Depending on where it was that it was served, I might be inclined to keep quiet about it, just in case they decide to charge me extra for the bug. Elsewhere, I would definitely ask the wait staff to take it back and replace the meal free of charge, with extras.

15. Lady Rose profile image74
    Lady Roseposted 13 years ago

Well, unless you happen to like eating insects with your salad, what i do, is call the waiter and show him the bug. I wait for their reaction and usually they apologize and take the plate away and bring you a fresh one.
    I have found bugs, curly hairs, straight hairs, etc. and they always give you either a new meal or a compensation.
    My son in law seems to always attract something weird in his food, and invariably gets either a free desert or a brand new meal plus tons of apologies.

16. Alternative Prime profile image57
    Alternative Primeposted 13 years ago

Trying not to cause a scene or draw attention to myself, I would gently pick the bug up using a tweezers, place it in a hermetically sealed plastic bag... Bring it home and examine it under a 1000X microscope....If I'm able to read that tiny little inscribed serial number maybe then I could trace it back to the person who's trying to SPY on me?

Oh, the other kind of bug? Tell you the truth, they taste a little better than some of the salad croutons I've eaten lately....

17. Coming of Age profile image57
    Coming of Ageposted 13 years ago

An insect in my salad? This is a travesty!

I would immediately jump up on top of the table and begin screaming at the top of my lungs. This would make it clear to the rest of the restaurants patrons that something was wrong, and produce the witnesses that I will need when I sue the fork out of that greasy spoon!

On the other hand, I might just see if the little creapy crawly is nice and plump. If so, then I'd queeze the sweet entrails out over my leafy greens and chow down baby.........Caterpillars are particularly scrumptious and full of protein. You will definitely have to be careful doing this if you're not sure who may be watching. Your liable to send a PETA person into a massive coronary with such despicable actions.

18. Judicastro profile image60
    Judicastroposted 13 years ago

I have found a bug in my meal and a few other things.  I quietly mentioned it to the server and they whisked it away, asked if I would like something else, which I did and they didn't charge me.  I see the trend on here that if you complain you get a negative mark.  But quite frankly I'd rather have my meals bugless, unless they are paying for the meal.

19. thomas30 profile image57
    thomas30posted 13 years ago

We do not pay for that salad making a good excuse that there is a bug in Salad.

20. applejack2 profile image60
    applejack2posted 13 years ago

TELL THE MANAGER AND SHOW  HIM THE  BUG, THEN  HE  SHOULD    ADJUST  THE  PRICE  OF  YOUR MEAL ,OR OFFER  YOU  A DIFFERENT  ITEM.

21. Klena profile image69
    Klenaposted 13 years ago

Calmly and quietly call a server or waiter/waitress over to your table. Show them the bug.

From there, they should take the meal away and get a manager as it is a manager's responsibility to deal with food complaints of that nature. 

It depends on where you're eating but you should be presented with a fresh meal and the price of the item discounted at minimum, if not the meal for free.

As long as you keep calm, they will respond worlds better to you and will do their best to make up for this error.

22. Variety Writer profile image61
    Variety Writerposted 13 years ago

Complain. Report them. Never go back. That is so gross!

23. profile image0
    Rouillieposted 13 years ago

Well, first, i'd consider how bad I needed the protein and if the bug was sanitary or not (washed with the lettuce kind of thing). Ha! Gotcha!

I'd discreetly let the establishment know about it.

24. Supercellbaebe profile image61
    Supercellbaebeposted 13 years ago

I once came across a fat slug in my Spinach Salad in a very expensive London Restaurant.  It was revolting.  Needless to say I didn't eat the meal and I requested a refund, and I certainly haven't gone back there since!

25. Mr-Yo LV profile image61
    Mr-Yo LVposted 12 years ago

I'm not Bear Grylls so I'll throw up first, then ask for a refund, and then run like hell.

26. Kiwiwi profile image41
    Kiwiwiposted 12 years ago

I heard bugs are a good protein source.Opps i did not see the bug in the salad smile

27. SummerSurf profile image59
    SummerSurfposted 12 years ago

Firstly...tell them....then wait to see what they're are going to offer you.  Lets hope it's not the rest of the bug's family. 

Here's another question:  What do you do if you find half a bug in your salad? wink

28. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I don't think I would eat at that restaurant, I am persnickety that way. I would return the meal and ask for a refund. I could never return to that restaurant. It would take me a while to eat out again too, I sorta have a little of the 'Monk' syndrome thing going.

29. nabeelplus profile image60
    nabeelplusposted 12 years ago

yuuucckkk...i will stop going to that restaurant

30. Attikos profile image83
    Attikosposted 12 years ago

I would beckon the waiter, show it to him, get up, and leave.

31. debbie roberts profile image70
    debbie robertsposted 12 years ago

I'd thank my lucky stars that it wasn't half a bug and discreetly make the waiter/waitress aware of the problem. Then hopefully they'd allow me to have something else off the menu.

32. AndyK26 profile image59
    AndyK26posted 12 years ago

meat with no bones yummy tongue i would ask the waiter is this part of the menu and  probably never eat there again

33. tswilson profile image60
    tswilsonposted 12 years ago

Your strategy is probably the best, but I would have a difficult time eating the salad.  Either way, I might say something to the waiter in case they might have a bug problem on their hands.

34. Efficient Admin profile image86
    Efficient Adminposted 10 years ago

I would absolutely show the manager of the restaurant.  Hopefully they would give you a free replacement salad if they are customer-oriented.  Quite frankly I think that is really gross and would inspect the free salad as well, if there was a free salad.

35. carrie Lee Night profile image81
    carrie Lee Nightposted 3 years ago

My father found a dead spider in his salad once.  He just removed it and kept eating. My mother yelled at him and told him to get the waiter, but he said it was no big deal.  I understand we eat bugs everyday in our food that we dont see but me personally I would have to send it back.  If it was a roach, I am walking out the building plus not being charged for anything.  I would also send the manager a letter of the incident so they can see what kind of pest interventions they could do.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)