jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Do you prefer movies or shows?

1. DH Reviews profile image54
    DH Reviewsposted 20 months ago

Do you prefer movies or shows?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 20 months ago

I watch way more movies than TV shows. I don't have time or the patience for season-long "story arcs" that go on forever. A feature film has a beginning, a middle and and end, and them boom, it's over and you can move on to the next one.

1. profile image0
      Cissy1946posted 20 months agoin reply to this

Oops, I guess I misunderstood what was being asked. Oh well, c'est la vie...

2. DH Reviews profile image54
      DH Reviewsposted 20 months agoin reply to this

I completely agree with you.

3. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 20 months ago

By shows I'm assuming you mean live performance. That would depend. A jump to hyperspace would be difficult on the stage, on the other hand, you can't get the emotional connection with the characters in a movie the way you can from a stage performance. There are three moments from stage performances that stand out for me as magnificent.

1) When Betty Buckley reaches the "Touch me" point in memory the emotion in the theater is electric. Your spine tingles, tears fall, and you know you've just had an experience that can never be duplicated. I saw Cats 7 times on stage; once on Broadway and 6 times with road company shows. If they revived it and didn't change it, I'd go again.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPEpt051xyM

2) The moment in Agnes of God when the truth breaks through into Agnes's consciousness and she realizes what she has done. The play, NOT the movie, is excellent. It's a three woman play with the psychiatrist (Elizabeth Ashley), the Mother Superior (Mercedes McCambridge), and the novice Agnes (no idea who played her). The only scenery on stage is a chair. The backdrop is a polished paneled wall. The drama happening on the stage was so intense and the audience so engrossed in the story that everyone in the theater was as surprised as Agnes when the climax came. Loved it! But wouldn't go see it again. Way too intense for me plus once you know the end it kind of loses some of its drama.

3) This whole play is fabulous. The story of what happened between Medea and Jason after he returned home with the Golden Fleece and then his betrayal of Medea. He's obviously not a very bright man because he apparently forgot who Medea was. I think the most powerful scene in Medea is when she tells Jason that she loathed him more than she loved the children. I saw this with Zoe Caldwell as Medea. YouTube has the whole play but I'm only posting the scene where she tells him what she's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5enWoLK-w3o

I enjoy movies but if you really want to experience drama, go to a stage play. Just like if you really want to experience music, go to a live concert.

DH Reviewsposted 20 months agoin reply to this

I meant tv shows but your answer was fun to read anyway.

2. profile image0
      Cissy1946posted 20 months agoin reply to this

Thanks. Maybe next time I'll tell you about the time I was so bored I fell asleep and then fell out of my seat. Naturally I also had to be wearing a bright color that day...

4. CYong74 profile image98
    CYong74posted 19 months ago

Movies. TV shows have high production values nowadays, yes. But too often, they fall into the lure of ridiculous, drawn out story lines just to fill or have another season. That is a huge turn off for me.

It happens in movies too, admittedly. But way less obvious.

DH Reviewsposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Yes I agree. My only problem with movies is when they have so many annoying sequels.

2. CYong74 profile image98
      CYong74posted 19 months agoin reply to this

Yeah. Sequels' when movies slip into sitcom mode.

5. profile image87
    Mills Pposted 19 months ago

I have no preference. I like some TV shows, and I usually attend a movie on Saturdays. It's not always easy to get my money's worth on the big screen or the small screen. I suppose I've reached an age where I've seen so much in both places that isn't bad, but it isn't as good as something similar from the past.

working