jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)

TV Free!

1. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image96
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 7 years ago

We are now a TV-free household.  Yaay!  I look forward to its absence from our lives.  Not only do I consider TV to be a major time-drain, but 95% of the shows are so boring (and frequently repeated.)

Are there other TV-free households here on HubPages?

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Are you insane!!!! What about the Super Bowl? What about the Amazing Race? You must be from Canada.smile

AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, I'm not from Canada...  England, actually. 

I have no idea what your Amazing Race is (other than, one assumes, some sort of racing event), and sports in general inspire immediate boredom.  I don't care who can run round in a circle the fastest, or jump over the highest stick, or lift the heaviest lump, or drag a JCB with their left earlobe etc.  But all to our own, of course...!

2. IzzyM profile image91
      IzzyMposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes but not through choice. The electricity board cut the power off to the communal ariel because the builder hadn't paid his fees, so we bought a freesat system with a tiny 80cm dish which was good enough for some world news channels in English and and some Spanish and other language channels.
      Then we had a power surge after a major power failure just before Christmas and it blew my free-sat box up!
      I've now got a giant 2.4 metre dish lying in the garen but not connected because it needs a base and a Sky box that doesn't work with the 80cm dish.
      So...no TV!
      I miss it for the news more than anything.

3. profile image0
      sophsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No TV!! yikes How would I watch the Footy!? sad

Men running up and down after a bag of air?  You'd have to pay me a lot of money to sit through that.  smile

2. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 7 years ago

Mine is.  My sister has never owned one and I gave mine up last summer when analog broadcasts ceased.

Our licence was due for renewal, and when we analysed just how much TV we really watched - by deliberate choice, rather than "because it's there" - our decision was obvious.

I was TV-free for years, during my late teens and twenties, and found it wasn't missed at all.

3. Rafini profile image89
    Rafiniposted 7 years ago

i would like to, but my son depends on it too much for his game systems!  lol

4. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 7 years ago

Not a TV free household, but I don't watch TV. The TV is nothing but background noise for me while the other members of my household seem to revolve their lives around it.

5. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 7 years ago

Not totally TV free but it is only used to watch movies and not even that so much anymore. No cable and if I want to catch up on a show I can check Hulu and see if they have it.

6. K Partin profile image61
    K Partinposted 7 years ago

TV-free house? Never. When I don't want to watch it I don't turn it on..or I go out to my work shop. I enjoy watching it sometimes, but not as much as surfing the web. lol

7. brimancandy profile image82
    brimancandyposted 7 years ago

I am not happy at all with this new digital television. Now I hear that they want to start charging us to watch it! The day that happens is the day I do nothing but play video games, and go to the library and pick up DVD's

I'll pay for television when I can get a decent signal, otherwise you can take your pay TV and shove it. I might miss my Sunday Cartoons and American Idol, but, that's about it.

1. Rafini profile image89
      Rafiniposted 7 years agoin reply to this

free broadcast tv will be a thing of the past?  all tv will be cable tv?  I will chuck my TV out the window when that happens!!

oh, wait.  I can always use it for movies, and games.  smile

Here in Britain, TV has never been free.  Everyone has to purchase a TV Licence which currently costs £140 pa. 

Now the old TV signals no longer work, the system having been tranfered to a newer kind, which means people need a digital receiver in order to view TV.  However if you don't have a digital receiver, and therefore can't view TV, you don't need a licence anymore.  The TV licence's own website explains the details in full, if anyone's interested.

1. IzzyM profile image91
          IzzyMposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Go to www.filmon.com and download their software. You can watch TV for free through the internet!
          I don't use it much because it runs away with my data allowance and I'm only allowed 5Gbs a month!

8. Mama Sez profile image73
    Mama Sezposted 7 years ago

With TV but no cable.  My Father-in-Law uses it to watch the news and from time to time, we watch movies (DVD).  Nobody in the family is interested in regular TV programs or they were trained not to, lol.

9. Flightkeeper profile image74
    Flightkeeperposted 7 years ago

I was TV free for awhile when the gov't forced us to go digital and I resisted because the gov't shouldn't make us do things like that. So for about 6 months I was TV free.  Gotta say I didn't miss anything.  I finally gave in and got a digital receiver and meh. I don't watch as much I thought I would. Even the news stinks. I just watch it now in the evening when NCIS or CSI or any other crime show goes on and even then I don' pay much attdention. And I don't have cable either cause...why?

If they do start charging I'm getting rid of the TV.

working