jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Are Turntablists Real Musicians?

1. 6 String Veteran profile image73
    6 String Veteranposted 6 years ago

Are 'turntablists' (DJs who 'scratch', etc.) legitimate musicians? I believe they are. Anyone who has seen DJ Jazzy Jeff (DJ for 'Fresh Prince' Will Smith) in action might just be convinced of this if you are skeptical. And he's not the only one, not by a long shot...just check out some turntablists--especially turntable battles--on YTube.

Well, that's my obviously biased 5 cents. But this aynt 'bout me...

What's YOUR take? Is a DJ who manipulates records/CDs well a true musician? Why or why not?

6SV

1. profile image0
      tugbo200-5posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well I do particularly like turntable musician,mainly because it's mostly tied to RAP,Which I think is a ruination of the music industry.
         As far as turntable being a musician,why not,I've seen people playing the spoons and consider them musicians,it all boils down to rhythm and timing and not everyone has that gift.

1. profile image0

Sorry,first line should read..Well I do NOT particularly like turntable musician's.

1. profile image0

After posting here I went to your you-tube channel.
          Without a doubt ,I give that a Thumbs Up.

6 String Veteranposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. I'm planning to post short videos there for the beginner's guitar lesson Hubs I have here.

2. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Considering that saws, hammers, garbage cans and lids and everything else including the kitchen sink has been used as an instrument, many having been recorded and purchased by the public, I would agree they are musicians.

I suppose a distinguishing feature might be in how good any of these items can be made to sound and the reactions they produce in people.

Perhaps then, the thing to do is agree on what constitutes a "legitimate musician" smile

2. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 6 years ago

DJ's are rhythmics (my own new term) but they are not musicians. They only have grasp of the rhythm, but don't understand the full concept of music, such as melody, harmony, etc. Unless they have learned to play an instrument, they are not musicians.

6 String Veteranposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't agree that they only grasp rhythm since good DJs know how to mix melodies...but that is a strong argument.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

having a good ear for music doesn't make you a musician.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...i haven't read all the posts....i use a turntable but not to 'scratch' anything......just for me....listening to analog and some new digital.........  i luv my turntable....  big_smile....am i a musician?...no!...i just like music and have my favourites....

4. DanielCook profile image61
    DanielCookposted 6 years ago

This is an interesting question. I wouldn't class a 'turntablist' in the same bracket as say a drummer or pianist, however they can be incredibly talented with a great understanding of music.

A definition of a musician I found is:

a person who makes music, especially a performer of music.

Using that definition, I'm not sure whether DJ's make music or not. They don't (in most cases) make the records they play, but they do create the sound output (i.e. the mix) which is often unique and could be classed as music.

Inconclusive I'm afraid.

5. jamesdarby profile image58
    jamesdarbyposted 6 years ago

Dictionary.com defines 'musician' as:

1. a person who makes music  a profession, especially as a performer of music.
    2. any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

Neither of these use the word 'instrument'.

DJs and turntablists ARE musicians, if you've ever seen DJ Shadow or Cut Chemist in action then you'll be hard pushed to disagree that they fit in with the definitions above.

working