Time Bandits. Best fantasy movie: Review
Time Bandits: Fantasy and comedy, Monty Python style
Pythonesque and totally mad, this hilarious film was made in 1981 and is one of my favorites in the for-fun department of our DVD collection, Produced by Terry Gilliam of Monty Python fame, it also features John Cleese and Michael Palin - so already you know you're in for a treat.
Not just impressive but just seeing a selection of the cast members below gives you some idea of the craziness of this film:
- Sean Connery playing the part of a king from Greek mythology (oh so gorgeously, too)
- Kathleen Helmond (remember her in Soap?) as the ogre's wife
- Ralph Richardson as the supreme being
- Ian Holm as Napoleon
- Jim Broadbent as the TV game show host (similar to his role in Little Voice, really)
- Sheila Fearn (from The Likely Lads) as mother
Oh and quite a few 'little people'. Ancient Greece, meets Napoleon, with and ogre and a TV show host? What madness is this?
Well, it's perfectly simple
Or maybe that isn't the word..... The movie starts in a suburban English home where a young lad called Kevin lives with his parents. One night, a bunch of six dwarfs tumble into his bedroom (did I mention that this film is very daft?) and Kevin joins them on their adventures as they travel through various time warps creating havoc and mayhem.
From the Titanic to Sherwood Forest
Yes, we travel with the gang on the Titanic, we visit Robin Hood in Sherwood Forest, calling in to ancient Greece, meeting Napoleon, the supreme being and evil along the way.
The wonders of Amazon
No, not the river, although by what I've told you above, I don't blame you for thinking I mean that we've now gone to Brazil. What I mean is that this, along with some of the finest films from the same era, are now true bargains on amazon.com. We're adding them to our collection and having a wonderful time.
See what's in store
- Meet John Cleese as Robin Hood - and the 'leetle peeple'
- Meet the supreme being - he's rather like a crusty old headmaster
- Meet Sean Connery. Forget James Bond. Oh my goodness...
The videos below are just wonderful.
If you're like me and can't get enough of daft humor, you'll be please to know that this gem is also available at an excellent price. This film is decidedly bonkers.
More great movie ideas
- The Graduate: Classic movie
Question - which is your own favourite Dustin Hoffman film? I know it's a hard choice. Three are featured on this page. Is your own favourite here ?
- The Birdcage: Classic gay movie
The Birdcage is one of the funniest films ever to be made. What's more, it's consistently a best seller. If you haven't seen this film, learn more and see hilarious scenes on video.
- A Private Function: Movie Review
A Private Function is a movie written by Alan Bennett, it stars Maggie Smith and Michael Palin and was filmed largely in Yorkshire. That's wonderful enough as it is but the main character is a pig...
© 2013 Jackie Jackson