- Family and Parenting»
- Babies & Baby Care
Baby Gifts and Birthing Gift Ideas.
Easy to Make Baby Hats
If you know anyone that does needlecraft, a good birthing gift is a hand made newborn's hat, with or without a baby blanket made with the same yarns. Some gift shops, children's stores and department stores carry these items; and, they may be ordered online from craftspeople.
I was surprised at how appreciated handmade baby gifts have been when I gave them. One of my students and her husband had a baby recently and as a gift, I crocheted a set of four baby hats for them from a soft natural fiber. When the child becomes older, she can use them for her dolls!
I also make larger hats for the child as she grows. It's fun to do and does not take a long time.
Below are some pictures of baby hats I have made fo rchildren of my friends and students and their families. Some of the pictures are of a friend's cat modeling some of the hats!
Most recently, I made a large batch of baby hats, ponchos and blankets and sent them to the local Ronald McDonald™ House at Children's Hospital. There, the families of sick children are able to find shelter, good food, and fellowship at no cost if they cannot afford accommodations.
I have made many of this style hat in several colors.Click thumbnail to view full-size
The hat you see pictured to the right is one that I have crocheted in a number of natural fibers, including wool, cashmere, cotton, and others.
A newborn's hat takes about an hour to crochet, and I change each one slightly in its pattern stitches so that it is unique to the baby that receives it.
Sometimes, I make a matching hat for the mother as well, or a baby blanket of matching fibers.
However, there are times that the mom-to-be could benefit form something special for herself, especially in the last trimester when the waiting can make her impatient.
A special store for gifts that pamper moms-to-be is located at The Doula Store, located at christiandoula.webs.com/apps/webstore/
Free Crochet Pattern For a Baby Hat
Written Instructions for Another Hat.
- 1 skein three-ply baby weight yarn, your choice of color. (I use natural fibers for baby garments.)
- Size G
- Round 1: Ch 3 and join with a slip stitch to make a circle. Chain 2 and make 11 HDC (half double crochet) in the circle, but do not join rounds. (Total count is 12 HDC, because the CH 2 counts as 1.)
- Round 2: 2 HDC between each HDC; (total: 24 HDC) and place a marker at the beginning stitch with plastic stitch marker or even a twist tie.
- Round 3: *1 HDC between next st, then 2 HDC between next st* and repeat pattern around (total: 36 HDC).
- Round 4: 1 HDC between ea HDC around to the beginning marker.
- Round 5: *1 HDC between each of the next 2 st, 2 HDC in next space* and continue pattern to the beginng marker. (total: 48 HDC).
- Rounds 6 thorugh 21: HDC between each HDC around to desired length of hat.
- Finish off.
(My note: Baby hats are said to be made to fit an orange if the child is premature and a grapefruit if the baby is full-term.)
Instructions for a flower for the top
- Round 1: Ch 5, join to form a ring with a slip stitch in the 1st ch.
- Round 2: Ch 3 (counts as the first DC) and make 9DC in the ring, join at the top of the ch with a sl st (total: 10 DC).
- Round 3: *Ch 2, work 3DC in next st, ch 2, slip stitch in next st* five times.
- Fasten off.
The original pattern is offered by 1) The Idea room theidearoom.net and 2) Teresa Richardson: public domain as per Goggle search advanced search settings.
Birthing Gift Options
Free Crochet Baby Hat Patterns
- Baby Hats | AllFreeCrochet.com
Try out these crochet baby hats for something snuggly for the baby in your life!
- Crochet Pattern Central - Free Baby Hats Crochet Pattern Link Directory
Free Knit Baby Hat Patterns
- Free Baby Hat Knitting Patterns
A large selection of free knitting patterns for oh so cute baby hats. Choose from hats knit in the round or on two needles.
- Over 200 Free Hat Knitting Patterns at AllCrafts.net - Free Crafts Network
Over 200 Free Hat Knitting Patterns at AllCrafts.net - Free Crafts Network Free Crafts Network Free Crafts projects! Your guide for all types of crafts. Holiday crafts, Kids crafts, crochet, knitting, dolls, rubber stamps and much more! 20+ craft cat
Tiger Woods Receives Baby Gifts
Additional Baby and Mom Information
- The Best Early Infant Care
An American physician operates a brain institute to help in the research and mapping of the function of every sector of the human brain. The staff has found that prevention of health problems can occur within the first three months of the life of a b
- Baby Oil Mysteries
Baby oil can originate from several sources that you may never have considered! Here are a few of them...
- How Old Should Parents Be?
This is certainly a loaded question. Data suggests that parents somewhat over 30 bring much more to the parenting table than do teens and twenty-somethings. However, they also bring a greater risk to their unborn children of genetic malfunction and..