- Family and Parenting»
- Children's Growth & Development
Memory Making Activities to do With Your Child in Spring
Enjoy These Family Bonding Activities for Springtime
There are many activities that families or parents and children can do together in the Spring which will make lifetime memories. It is important to do them annually or at least when children are old enough to remember the experience.Some of these will be so special to your children that they will want to share these activities with their own children and thus you will be creating a family legacy. Remember to take pictures of your activities to add to children's scrapbooks if you choose to make them.
* Plant a garden - It doesn't matter how large or small the garden is. The simple act of digging in the dirt in the fresh air with your child is an invigorating and bonding experience for the two of you. And when things start to sprout and you can monitor the plants progress together, it is even more fun. Not to mention the joy and proud feelings of eating the results of your labor together.
* Go Fly a Kite - Find a wide open space, bring one kite for each person present, and let 'em rip! Kite flying is a fun and relaxing, and relatively cheap ( except for the cost of the kites) form of family entertainment. It will also give everyone plenty of fresh air and sunshine if the sun is out during the chosen day.
* Go to the Zoo - Take an annual trip to the nearest zoo. Lots of baby animals can be seen at this time. And Springtime at the zoo will be less crowded than the Summer.
* Go to an Annual Memorial Day Parade - Each year try to choose a different parade until your family finds one they like the best, then make it an annual event. Make sure to get to the parade route early to find a good viewing area. Bring plenty of flags for each family member to wave, chairs or blankets to sit on, and snacks and drinks so that everyone can be prepared to hang out in comfort while waiting for the parade to begin. And bring a Frisbee or ball, or some other activity for the children to do while waiting. Celebrating Memorial Day as a family teaches kids about military personnel who have given their lives for our country and gives them a real sense of patriotism.
* Annual Spring Yard Sale - Each year, plan a huge family yard sale. Each family member is responsible to go through their own belongings, weed out what they don't want anymore, and put a price on it. Then choose a day that is supposed to be sunny, and advertise in the paper and on Craigslist. Make sure that the sale is long enough to be worth your while, and not so long that your family is exhausted. A six hour time span usually works best. Anything that is leftover from the sale can be donated to the Salvation Army. A family yard sale teaches children to earn their own money, and to not to collect toys and items that they don't really care about or need. It also helps Moms and Dads keep unnecessary clutter out of the house.
* Go on Family Bike Ride - Try to choose a fun destination that's within biking distance for all family members. Pack a picnic lunch or snack, bring kites or sand toys, etc. to use at your destination point. Biking to a particular place and resting before the journey back will not only provide exercise for all involved, but will make the day more enjoyable.
* Make Home Made Gifts for Mother's Day ( or Father's Day) - purchase plain white or cream colored tshirts and fabric paint. Lay the tshirt out on a piece of newspaper, and put cardboard into the shirt between the 2 layers so the front and back are not touching each other ( the paint would seep through the material and stick the 2 sides together)
Option 1: Have your child step into the paint in their bare feet, and then walk across the tshirt. Put the child's name underneath their footprints and write, "My son/daughter walks all over me."
Option 2: Have your child put their hands into the paint and put hand prints on the shirt. Then at the bottom, you can write, "Hands Down, the Best Mom/Dad around."
Let dry totally before giving as gifts. Turn inside out to wash and the shirts will stay wonderfully colorful for years to come.
* Go on Pond Walk at Dusk - If there's a pond near you, take a walk around it at dusk with your child. A pond at dusk is an amazing nature wonderland. There are bull frogs to hear and see, birds flying around settling down before bed, fish scurrying around at the edge of the water, and if you are fortunate enough to see frogs eggs, they are a wonderful site to behold. If you don't think it is harmful to the eggs, bring a see through glass container, fill it with pond water, scoop some eggs up, and leave them near a window where they can catch the sunlight but not in direct sunlight as the water may get too warm. You and your kids can watch the tadpoles hatch and swim around before bringing them back a day or two after they hatch to the same pond and letting them go. It's a wonderful Science activity that will enthrall your children as they watch the little guys swim around.
* Take Your Kids to the Beach - Going to the beach to explore, but not to swim in Spring is a wonderful activity. Of course this only works if you live in an area where it's too cold to swim in Spring. Even in Spring time, there's plenty to do at the beach in cooler climates. You can hunt for shells, sea glass and pretty rocks, build sand castles, search for creatures in tidal pools, take a walk along the shore, and of course fly a kite. Bring sand toys and pails to build with, or to collect your beach treasures. Don't forget to bring a blanket and a snack to make the trip a bit more of a treat.
More Memory Making Ideas for Kids in Summer
- Memory Making Activities to do with Your Child in Summer
Summer comes but once a year. Here's a list of some great summertime activities to enjoy with your children.
More Activities for Kids in Winter
- Memory Making Activities to do With Your Child in Winter
Enjoy these family bonding activities when you and your children are stuck inside in the cold weather.
More Memory Making Activities For Kids in Fall
- Memory Making Activities to do With Your Child in Fall
Fall is the perfect time of year to create family memories. Read on to find some creative ideas to do with your children in this wonderful season.
Love to Write? Sign up to Write for Hub Pages for FREE!
HubPages is your online space to share your advice, reviews, useful tips, opinions and insights with hundreds of other authors. HubPages is completely free, and you can even earn online ad revenue!