- Family and Parenting
College Student Tenants and Landlords
Clean Home = Sane Landlady
Rules for a “Sane” Kitchen (and Landlady)
We have been renting to college students for quite some time now.
I have enjoyed getting to know students from all over the world. We have had students from the South Pacific, Micronesia, South America, Africa, India, Asia and many other places. It has been enjoyable to get to know them, and learn all about their food and culture.
Most of the time, things go pretty smoothly, but once in a while, it can get pretty hairy. I mean literally and figuratively.
So, here are a few things that may be helpful for those who rent part of their home.
- Be considerate of others.
- Only food related items should be in the kitchen - not books, clothes, etc.
- Take personal items to your room instead of leaving them on the cupboard.
- Personal food items should be kept in your assigned cupboard or refrigerator.
- Clean up after yourself (including dishes, microwave, stove, oven, countertops, floor, rugs).
- Cover food when microwaving – if it spills or splatters, please clean it up. This was always a big one for me. We all get in a hurry, but clean up your own messes.
- Sweep or use dust buster for crumbs (always empty cup and plug back in to recharge)
- If you use table and chairs, make sure they are clean when you are finished. (Sweep or wipe up under your chair if you spill)
- Rinse off all dishes you used, including pans, and place in right partition of sink. The landlady will load/unload dishwasher daily.
- Clean off appliances you use (toaster, can opener, rice cooker, etc. as needed).
- If you spill ice or water on outside of fridge or floor, please wipe it up.
- Any messages for another tenant should be left on the refrigerator.
IF EVERYONE WORKS TOGETHER, THE HOME WILL BE A HAPPY ONE.
Additional House Rules
Keep doors shut (to conserve air conditioning or heating) and locked if no one is home.
Watch TV in your own room or in the living room if allowed.
No guests allowed in bedrooms.
Clean bathroom completely after yourself (clean sink, counter, toilet, shower, floor, walls, etc.)
Turn lights off that are not being used.
Landlord’s bedroom is off limits except for emergencies.
Leave your school/work schedule and contact number on fridge.
If you are leaving overnight or weekend, please leave a note on the fridge so you can be contact in case of emergency.
The most difficult thing for me in renting is the lack of privacy. Be respectful of the owner's time and things.