- Family and Parenting»
- Parenting Skills, Styles & Advice
Summer Safety Tips Every Parent Should Know: How to Make Summer Vacation Activities Memorable
Summer is one of the most anticipated times of the year. During summer vacation, children and adults alike find fun and relaxation. But there are dangers that can turn summer activities into dreadful scenes. As such, summer safety is undeniably a crucial part of making summer activities fun and relaxing. Because of this, parents should be the first to advocate these summer safety tips.
Sun: Our Friend and Foe
First and foremost, you’ll never run out of sun during summer vacations. Whether you’re strolling in the park or hitting the waves, the sun will be there. So this is a safety tip regardless of what you may be doing. To put it plainly, protect yourself and your family from the sun.
Sunburn – the most common burn known to man
- Put on sunblock. More importantly, follow the directions on the label.
- Use child-friendly sunblock for your little ones
- Higher SPF provides more protection against radiation.
- Check if you have UVA and UVB protection.
- Use sunglasses with UV protection
- Apply the sunblock frequently or as recommended
- Avoid sun between 10 am to 3 pm. Some prefer a wider no sun range (9 am to 4 pm).
Dehydration and heat stroke - it maybe too late when you notice it
- Have refreshing drinks available for everyone
- Wear lose, comfortable clothes – you may opt to bring several clothes for your children just to be sure
- Keep your skin moist by splashing water or using water sprays. Fine mist can help cool the skin and replace lost moisture
- Minimize loss of water by staying cool and under the shade – umbrellas and portable tents are good to have
- Know the signs of heat illness – elevated temperature (104 degrees up), rapid pulse, dizziness, nausea, fainting and flushed skin.
What water sports do you like?
Common Summer Activities and Safety Reminders
There are numerous summer activities that make this season memorable. To ensure that your family is safe learn these summer safety tips
Swimming and summer vacations seem to be bundled together. Moreover, many youngsters look forward to a swimming vacation once summer arrives. However, it's important for parents to keep this summer activity safe and fun.
- Swim with a buddy – ideally, have a swimmer and non-swimmer tandem
- Adult supervision is needed with children – and sometimes adults who think like kids need supervision as well.
- Learn how to swim – my nieces learned to swim in a couple of days.
- Use safety devices like kick boards, floatation devices and life vest.
- Just like driving, don’t drink and swim.
- Wear the proper attire for swimming.
- Swim parallel to the shore when out in the beach.
- Never go to restricted areas.
- Never dive in shallow water.
- Know where the lifeguards and emergency personnel are located.
Water sport safety
Although swimming tops the list of summer activities, other water recreations are there for those wanting a different thrill. Any water sport activity requires additional care. As such, parents must learn to keep these water sport safety tips in mind - always.
- Let someone know when, where and what you are doing.
- Observe safety reminders of the water sport you are doing.
- Use the right gear. Children must use child-appropriate gear.
- Follow safety reminders for different areas.
Is camping for you?
Camping and hiking safety
Being one with nature should not be dangerous. In fact, you and your family should have fun. But like any other activities out in the open, there are risks that you should keep in mind. keep these safety tips in mind and you'll sure have a fun time outdoors with your family. After all, summer should be fun for all.
- Know the camping area
- Register with the local park or camping authority
- Follow rules and regulations of camping areas
- Make sure your equipment is working properly
- Pack enough supplies.
- Bring a first aid kit.
- Know how to administer first aid.
- Bring a map and compass – know how to use them.
- Know how to purify water especially during emergency.
Biking and rollerblading
Some people enjoy the wind blowing in their faces and biking and rollerblading are their thing. Sure, it's fun. However, they are not without risks. Parents must realize these risks and take the necessary actions so that they can ensure their family's safety.
- Wear safety equipment.
- Bike or Rollerblade in the designated areas only
- Children must be accompanied and supervised by adults.
- Learn the basics of using the equipment.
- Be mindful of other people biking and rollerblading.
There are many summer activities that your family can do this season. Regardless what they may be, it is imperative that you follow these simple summer safety tips. As parents, you need to take charge of these safety reminders and ensure that everyone follows. You can easily create wonderful memories when you are safe.
- How do you choose your summer activities?
- How do you spend summer with your family?
- What safety precautions do you do?