- Family and Parenting»
- Children's Growth & Development
Tips on How to Raise a Child
The day you became a parent is the happiest moment of your life. You smile every time and talk about your baby everywhere you go. Nothing really compares to the happiness they bring. As they grow, you start thinking of things to make them happy, to help them stay healthy and to raise them as good children.
Here are some tips on how to attain your goal to successfully raise your child.
- Respect them. Children are sensitive. They need to be taken care of properly. They are like glasses that once broken, you can never put it back to its original appearance. Listen to them and talk things over. Answer every question they ask and try not to offend them.
- Be a parent. As a parent, you are also their model. They watch everything you do every day. If you laugh during happy moments, they know they should do it too. If you do good, they do good and if you do bad, they will definitely follow you.
- Give them your time. You are going to work, alright. You should talk to them before you leave. Tell them to do good until you come home, or ask them to eat their lunch well so that they will grow faster. Simple things like this will help them realize that they mean so much to you. Try to read them stories before they go to sleep, teach them how to pray too. Plan your weekend well and see to it that you share more of your time with them. You can sing with them while you do your laundry, or while gardening, etc.
- You punish with a loving heart. Let’s admit that children nowadays are very hard to cope with. Show them how bad things will be when they do not obey your rules or orders. While watching TV, you can cite examples and never get tired answering their questions without irritation. Let them understand why you get mad on such bad deeds and explain to them why you give punishments every time they disobey you.
- Make sure to eat with them at least once a day. It is best if you can eat with them in every meal. Talk to them, ask how things were during the day, or the day before. Encourage them to share their own stories and do not ever try to offend them on their first confession. For example, they did bad at school or they broke something you really value and they confessed right away before you found out. Just let them tell you the whole story and only talk when they are done. Ask them slowly why things went that way or what made them do such mistake and then make sure to explain things they want to know.
- Practice eating healthy. Good health is the most important thing in the house that you should attain. Eat healthy diet and make sure your children understand why you are practicing it. Explain why you should not eat junk foods too much and that you have to eat more fruits and vegetables above anything.
- Teach them to manage their money. As early as they can, buy them a piggy bank and teach them to save money. Set goals like buying the toy they most want or anything they wish for. Show them how they should save more and spend less. While you give them their school allowance, remind them to save each day.
- Be grateful. Children want to see their parents happy and impress them. Be thankful for each gift they give and make for you and show them how you appreciate every effort. Give them a hug and say you love them. You should say this as often as you need to.
- Earn their trust. Do as you say. When you promise to be with them in the weekends, you must try your best to be a man of your words. If you say, you will buy them ice cream after they help you with a task, then do so. Children are most likely to rebel when you lost their trust. In times you offended them, be modest and say "Sorry". Explain how things went and why you never made it and swear you wouldn’t do it again (Remember: when you swear, you should be serious about it).
- Most of all, introduce them to God. Go to church with them and read them bible stories. Point out every lesson learned in each story and remind them to follow the good traits stated and not the bad ones. Help them to love God and to thank Him for every blessing.
As your children grow, you should always let them feel that you are at anytime be by their side. Never ever let them down thrice. Be aware that they are much smarter than you.
Nice parenting to all!