Best American City for Children: Corvallis
Natural Attractions and Music
America's Promise named Benton County & and its county seat, Corvallis, to their list of the 100 Best Communities for Children in the late 2000s and the city has stayed on that list throughout the end of the decade.
Other ratings organizations have awarded the city recognition for safety and best small-town living as well. it is also known as a top place for retirement. Corvallis is a clean and beautiful town in which to raise a family among outdoor recreation and natural features, a high achieving school system, good jobs, and the nationally Oregon State University.
Corvallis and Oregon State University [the state's oldest college or university] are approximately 38 miles north of Eugene and the University of Oregon on Interstate 5. Jonah Seitz, lead singer with On The Rocks men's a Capella group at the University of Oregon is originally from Corvallis.
Both Corvallis and Eugene are college towns, resistant to recessions because of the student influx and creation of University research-created jobs, and offer family-friendly services and entertainment. Arts and culture are another primary focus.
Downtown Corvallis Revitalization
A revitalization program began for Downtown Corvallis in 2003 in order to upgrade the facade, add new features, and provide additional residential and business options for residents and visitors.
Some of the local improvements to the downtown area include building renovations, a focused promotion of new men's and women's apparel shops, new signs, and the possibility of an Urban Renewal district for specialized improvements.
New events will follow renovations, like the springtime Downtown Wine Walk, a sort of moving wine tasting event among the wine shops in Downtown Corvallis. The Willamette Riverwalk is another big attraction for residents and visitors.
The Benton Country Historical Museum is located downtown, as are the Fall Festival Office, half a dozen bakeries, art galleries, approximately three dozen restaurants, the baseball park, B & B's, book stores, pubs, and a planned list of other attractions through 2020.
Corvallis Arts and Culture
- Arts at the Center of Life | Corvallis, Oregon
- Avery Park Rose Garden: 15th Street Avery Park, Corvallis, Oregon.
- Benton County Historical Museum
- Mid-Valley Bicycle Club
- Corvallis Community Theatre
- Corvallis Environmental Center
- Corvallis Knights Baseball
- Da Vinci Days: Oregon's premier arts and science festival, in Corvallis
- Green Gable Historic Gardens: 24689 Grange Hall Rd, Philomath, OR 97370
- Majestic Theatre: 115 NW 2nd St, Corvallis, OR 97330. (541) 230-1814. This is a part of the local parks and recreation department, offering dozens of programs, activities, and performances for families in the area.
- Oregon Covered Bridges: The towns of Cottage Grove ("Covered Bridge Capital of the West") and Lowell are natural starting places to begin a covered bridge tour. Discover the 20 covered bridges of Lane County.
- Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area and Siuslaw National Forest, Reedsport, OR 97467.
- Oregon State University
- Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire, Grant Road, Kings Valley, OR 97370: Second weekend in September, Kings Valley Oregon.
In addition to the famous hotel and motel chains located in most states, the Corvallis-Eugene Area also features moderately priced Bed and Breakfast Inns, along with stays at a working farm.
A department of the local chamber of commerce and city government is available to help visitors and residents newly relocated to Corvallis to find temporary housing while looking for a permanent home. All of these links are furnished below.
Bed and Breakfasts
- The Hanson Country Inn - Bed and Breakfast Lodging in Corvallis
The Hanson Country Inn, Corvallis's Oldest and Finest Bed and Breakfast. A magnificent five-acre estate located on a commanding knoll on the southwest edge of Corvallis
- Leaping Lamb Farm Stay, Since 1862. Scottie & Greg Jones; 20368 Honey Grove Road; Alsea OR 97324. Phone 541-487-4966.
High Demand Jobs
Top High Demand Jobs
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Nurse Practitioners
- Truck Drivers: Licensed CDL Drivers and Owner-Operators
- Physical and Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Assistant Professors
- Mechanical Engineers and Interns
- Management Trainees
- Java and other Software Developers
- Business Analysts
Companies Most Frequently Listing Jobs
- Oregon State University (OSU)
- Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center
- Fiserv: Financial Services Technology Solutions
- CH2M HILL: Engineering
- Medical Connections, Inc.
- www.RNTravelWeb.com: TRAVEL NURSING
- Samaritan Lebanon Community Hospital
- SHS Corporate: Sears Holding Corp.
- Samaritan Albany General Hospital
- Market of Choice: Grocery and Health and Beauty, etc.
Largest Employers in Corvallis, by Employee Pool Size
- Oregon State University (OSU) - Approximately twice an many employees as #2 Hewlett Packard. OSU is one of only two land-, sea-, space- and sun- grant institutions in America. Agricultural science is one of the highest priorities at OSU, which has developed pear orchards for a major catalogue business, truck farms for local produce, and several innovations in food crop. Partnerships with business have led to at least three major tree farms in Western Oregon/Covallis as well. health and medicine, climate change, and sustainability are other research priority areas as well. Another interesting project is the study of Whale DNA to determine that sushi in certain restaurants came from the illegal Japanese whale trade. Sports are part of the PAC-10.
- Hewlett Packard: Information Technology and devices
- Good Samaritan Hospital: Health and Medical
- Corvallis School District: Education
- Holiday Tree Farm:Largest tree grower globally.
- Corvallis Clinic: Health and Medical
- City of Corvallis: Government
- Benton County: Government
Spotlight on Holiday Tree Farm
One of the largest employers in Corvallis, by number of employees, this tree farm supplies the country with increasingly popular Oregon-grown Christmas Trees. (www.holidaytreefarm.com/).
Growing trees since 1955, Holiday Tree Farm is the largest tree grower in the world and the largest producer of Christmas Trees in the USA. Its founder is a retired OSU agronomist, Hal Schudel, who with his wife Lois, donated $1 Million to scholarships at the university in 2008.
Schudel began as a landscaper after WWII, taught at OSU, and opened his tree farm in 1955. Today, the plantation ships over a millions trees yearly, as well as wreaths up to 7 feet wide and a variety of garlands made from Noble Fir. Several other species of fir tree, along with Scotch Pine are the plantation's specialties.
Continuing to help OSU acquire new scholarship funding, Hall and Lois Schudel show how business and education can work together to provide new jobs in the agricultural sciences. The link above provides additional information about sustainability and quality in tree growing and shipping.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2010 Patty Inglish MS