What Type of High Chair to Buy
Types of High Chairs
For now, the major types of high chairs on the market today include:
- Standard high chair
- European style high chair
- Portable high chair
- Booster seat
- Chair harness
- Multi-functional high chair
High Chair Shopping
There's more than one type of high chair? Well yes, in fact, there are several types of high chairs on the market today, with more prototypes on their way to us consumers for the upcoming new season. High chairs vary in style, materials and special features. When it comes to buying baby products, including high chairs, there are often several TYPES of products on the market. You can spend very little on a perfectly functional high chair or you could spend big bucks on a high chair with all the bells and whistles.
When it comes to serious high chair shopping, there are several factors you should consider to narrow down the TYPE of high chair you're actually looking for. In some cases, the right choice might be buying more than one type of high chair as there is no such thing as a high chair that truly does it all. Here are some questions to ask yourself before buying a high chair:
- Is space an issue for you? If you find yourself living in a small space, you'll want to find a high chair than doesn't take up too much room when assembled or when stored.
- Do you want one high chair that will suit your child until he/she is ready for a regular chair? Or do you want a separate high chair and booster seat?
- Do you want a chair that will accommodate more than one child? If so, make sure the structure of the high chair is strong and the seat covers are durable and machine washable.
- Do you want your baby/toddler/preschooler to sit close to/at the same level you and the rest of your family at mealtime? Or would you prefer your child to have their own space? Some high chairs are height adjustable (and some are not) and some high chairs have removable trays (so you can pull your child right up to the surface of your table).
Standard High Chair
Graco DuoDiner 3 in 1 Infant to Booster
Standard High Chair
Standard high chairs are....What exactly IS a standard high chair?
- A high chair suitable for 6 months + (or when baby can first sit up)
- An everyday highchair with a tray.
One of the top-rated standard high chairs is the Graco DuoDiner 3-in-1 Infant Highchair to Booster. Consumers who bought the Graco DuoDiner loved it for:
- Versatility-the seat can recline or sit upright and the seat converts into a booster. Also there are 6 height settings, which is great if you're all, like me.
- The tray has two layers and it's dishwasher safe.
- The fabric is padded cotton and machine washable-so easy to clean even the worst stains.
- Takes up less space than most high chairs.
Consumers had a few cons for the DuoDiner:
- When stored, the chair takes up a bit too much space (the legs fold up but the seat does not)
- Some found the tray wasn't snug enough.
European High Chair
European High Chair
A European high chair:
- Accommodates kids through the toddler years. Some European high chairs will accommodate your child all the way up to adulthood.
- A (usually) tray-less high chair that you can pull right up to the table so your babe can eat with the rest of the family.
People who use European high chairs like them because:
- The child can eat right off the same table as the rest of the family.
- Versatility-a high chair you can use through all the stages of your child.
- Attractive looking products with machine washable parts.
- Very safe and sturdy
Portable/Hook-on High Chair
Portable High Chair
A portable high chair:
- Accommodates 6 months + (or when your baby can first sit up)
- A great travel seat that doesn't take up too much space (the seat usually hooks right onto the table)
Consumers who buy portable high chairs love them because...
Stokke Trip Trapp Multi-Functional High ChairClick thumbnail to view full-size
Multi-Functional High Chair
A multi-functional hight chair is very similar to European style high chairs, but the difference is in the chair ability to adapt to meet the needs of your children from birth to adulthood. Essentially a multi-functional high chair:
- Adjusts to fit babies, toddlers and full sized kids and adults.
- Is suitable for 6 months +. Some multi-functional high chair products can adapt to hold even newborn babies.
The Stokke Tripp Trapp High Chair, is a highly acclaimed multi-functional high chair. What consumers like about this high chair:
- It's attractive and fits in small spaces
- You can use it for newborns, babies, toddlers, preschoolers, kids and for adults.
- Easy to clean-material is machine washable.
- Chair pulls right up to the table for family meals.
- Some complained that the straps were hard to use and to adjust.
- The price
- Some say this chair is not great for babies, but better suited for older toddlers.
Stokke Tripp Trapp High Chair
Travelling with Baby
Have you ever found yourself stressed out, pulling your hair out trying to stuff ALL that baby gear into your luggage? Perhaps you should consider downsizing your regular, everyday baby gear and replacing it with travel-friendly, folds-into-nothing baby gear. A fabulous baby product on the market is the cloth-based, portable, slip on, harness high chair. My Little Seat is one magical baby product that folds into a tiny bag and can be stored easily, even your diaper bag.
My Little Seat
A chair harness:
- Is suitable for older babies and toddlers
- Is a fabric seat cover that attaches to the back of a chair and has safety straps to keep your baby in place.
Consumers who bought My Little Seat, one of the top rated high chair harnesses liked:
- The fact that it's easy to pack when you go out of town or if you're going out to eat with your family.
- The seat harness fits most seat backs.
- Easy to use
- This seat harness doesn't fit over high back chairs.
- Not great for everyday use-more suitable for on-the-go use.
What Type of High Chair is the Best?
What type of high chair would you say is the best?
A booster seat high chair:
- Good for toddlers who have grown out of a high chair (approximately 18 to 24 months).
- The three-point harness ensures your toddler stays securely in his/her seat but allows the child to reach the table.
Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair is one the top rated booster seats on the market.
- Three height adjustments and a three position recline gives mom a high chair in half the space
- Tray stays level with every adjustment
- Machine washable soft pad treated with nano-tex is easy to maintain and clean
- Converts from a newborn to infant height chair with ease
- New features include the removal of the arm rests to pull baby closer to the table and moving the seat recline to the back of the chair