- Family and Parenting
Decendants of Abraham Bates Tower
Genealogy Research on Descendants of Abraham Tower
I'm researching my great-great grandfather's life and trying to put together the clues and puzzle pieces I find. This page will contain the information and links about anyone descended from Abraham Bates Tower. He lived in Indiana, Missouri and Kansas. Born in 1837, he died in 1930 in Tyro, Kansas.
What happened to his children, his grandchildren and great grandchildren is the mystery that I want to unravel.
January 2012 - I'm starting to use ancestry.com and will be adding additional dates and names here that I find on that.
Abraham Bates Tower's Children - Nancy Angeline (Long) was his wife
- Laura Ann Tower born born September 29, 1859 in Crawford Co, Indiana. She was 10 years old in the 1870 census.
She married William Lewis Taylor on 11 March 1886. She was 26 years old. They had a daughter, Rhoda Taylor.
- Erastus Laban Tower born August 07, 1861 in Crawford County, Indiana. Age 8 in the 1870 census. Listed in the Family Tree Maker's Genealogy site as Krastus. I'm fairly sure Krastus is wrong.
- Mary Louisa Tower born July 31, 1866 in Linn County, Missouri. She was age 4 in the 1870 census.
- Sarah Alice Tower born April 09, 1868 in Linn County, Missouri. She was age 2 in the 1870 census. She died in Morgan, Bosque County, Texas.
- William Warren Tower born August 31, 1870 in Linn County, Missouri. He died July 21, 1952 (age 81) in Tyro, Montgomery County, Kansas
- Viola Matilda Tower (my great grandmother) was born February 03, 1873 in Linn County, Missouri. Check below to see who she married and how many children she had. She died December 26, 1964 and is buried in Tyro, Montgomery County, Kansas.
- Ezakins Zacheus Tower was born March 03, 1875 in Crawford County Indiana and died that same year and place.
- Rueben Theodore Tower born May 13, 1876 in Boone County, Arkansas. He died June 14, 1954.
- Malissa Angeline Tower born November 14, 1879 in Arkansas. She died August 21, 1970 in Sparks, Oklahoma.
- Emma Lillian Tower born September 26, 1881 in Indiana. She died in infancy.
Obituary for Laban Tower
Erastus Laban Tower - Son of Abraham Bates Tower
Erastus Laban Tower (second child of Abraham and Nancy Tower) married Carvina Viola Cox. Their children are listed below. Carvina's name shows up in various census records as Clarrina, Clarinna, Clarvinia and Lavina. Carvina's mother (Eliza M. Cox) lived with them in 1900 according to that census.
The Children of Erastus Laban Tower and His Wife Clarvina
- William E (1889-)
- Theodore Homer (1892-)
- Erastus Bernard (1895-)
- Dorris C. (son) - age 6 in 1920 census. The family was living in Oil (Perry County) Indiana on that date.
More about Erastus Laban Tower
- Erastus Laban Tower - Son of Abraham and Nancy Tower
Erastus Laban Tower, born shortly before the Civil War, lived in Indiana, Missouri and Kansas, then back to Indiana. Here's what I've found about his life.
Tower Genealogy - Book available from Amazon
There are actually 3 books with Tower genealogy. This is the first one covering the Tower family arrival in colonial America.
Abraham Tower and son William Warren Tower - and grandchild and great-grandchild
Abraham Bates Tower's Grandchildren - The children of Samuel Newton McGhee and Viola Matilda (Tower)
Name: Samuel N. McGhee Birth: about 1876 in Arkansas
Spouse: Matilda Tower McGhee (6th child of Abraham Bates Tower)
Residence in 1920 - Caney, Montgomery, Kansas
Sam McGhee and wife Viola Matilda (Tower) - From Gail Lee Martin's Family Album
- Clarence Oliver McGhee (my grandfather) is the boy standing behind his father in the photo above. Born in Arkansas. Check below for information about his marriage and children.
- Jesse Carl McGhee born on April 7. Born in Arkansas.
- Roy Bates McGhee was 19 years old in the 1920 census. Born in Arkansas.
- Bertha McGhee was 16 years old in the 1920 census. She is the baby held by Matilda in the photo above. Born in Arkansas.
- Lelan Mcghee was 15 years old in the 1920 census. Born in Arkansas.
- Loren Mcghee was 12 years old in the 1920 census. Born in Arkansas.
- Elmer McGhee was 9 years and 10 months old in the 1920 census. Born in Kansas.
- Austin Leonard McGhee was 7 years and 6 months old in the 1920 census. Born in Kansas.
- Ethel McGhee was 4 years old and 11 months in the 1920 census. Born in Kansas.
Abraham Tower's Great-Grandchildren - The children of Clarence Oliver McGhee and Ruth (Vining)
- Melba McGhee married Norma Harlan. They had three children: Timothy, Robert and Vicki.
- Gail Lee McGhee married Clyde Owen Martin. This is my mother and father. They had six children: Owen Lee, Susan Lynn, Virginia Kay, Cynthia Jo, Karen Louise, and Shannon Marie.
(the book cover shows Clarence and Ruth McGhee in 1928 with their children Melba and Gail. My mom was 4 years old in this picture.)
- Carol Jean McGhee married and her last name became Garriott. She did not have children.
Clarence McGhee Family Photos - From Gail Lee Martin's AlbumClick thumbnail to view full-size
Links Where I Found Dates and Names - for Abraham Bates Tower's descendants
- Family Tree Maker's Descendants of Robert Tower
Descendants of Robert Tower99. RONDA MARIE AYERS (CHERYL ANNE MCGHEE, AUSTIN LEONARD, VIOLA MATILDA TOWER, ABRAHAM BATES, JOHNATHAN WARREN, MATTHEW, MATTHEW, MATTHEW, SAMUEL, SAMUEL, JOHN,
- Family Tree Maker's List of Abraham Tower's Children
Descendants of Robert Tower Generation No. 916. MATTHEW TOWER (JOHNATHAN WARREN, MATTHEW, MATTHEW, MATTHEW, SAMUEL, SAMUEL, JOHN, ROBERT)
Three of His Grown Children
Henry and Melissa (Tower) Fiscus
More to Come...
This is just the start on finding Abraham Bates Tower's descendants. I'll fill in more detail about each individual as I find it.
Graphic available on a puzzle from Zazzle: Family Tree Jigsaw Puzzle by jmkgifts
© 2011 Virginia Allain