Should noncustodial parents be put on child support even if they already contrib

  1. YeahISaidIt profile image51
    YeahISaidItposted 8 years ago

    Should noncustodial parents be put on child support even if they already contribute to the child?

  2. profile image48
    alliancedgposted 8 years ago

    The first thing to remember is that this is your child.

    With that said, the non-custodial parent should provide regular child support for through payroll deductions, etc. as provided by your state's guidelines and also help with 50% of medical, extra curricular activities, and other misc. needs. I know it is difficult, but as I said initially, it is your child.

    One thing that I did,I started documenting some of the items that I did that was extra, but considered basic needs for my child ( I paid 100%). I then negotiated with my ex wife to eliminate some of my responsibilities for the 50% medical, etc. By having the documentation that I provided some of the basic essentials, that she did not provide or would not provide, I was able to to show cause for not paying some of the additional 50% expenses.

    Hope this helps.

  3. rsmallory profile image76
    rsmalloryposted 8 years ago

    I think the custodial and non custodial parent need a court ordered agreement to ensure that both parties know what their responsibilities are and stick to them as ordered. If you do not have such an agreement, it provides an opportunity for one or both to choose at some point down the road not to do what is right by the child.

    If you or the other parent are contributing by buying clothing, paying for diapers, doctor visits, etc. then i commend you, but I would advise that you document those contributions and take it to court to initiate an order for your protection and theirs and more importantly to ensure your child receives the support they deserve for the duration of their childhood.

    Best of luck.