What are the problems and advantages of having adult children living in the fami

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

What are the problems and advantages of having adult children living in the family home?

If an adult child returns to live with his or her parents in the family home, or if the child never leaves home after growing up, what are some problems and advantages from both the adult child's point of view and the parents'?

2. teaches12345 profile image78
    teaches12345posted 12 years ago

This seems to be happening these days for such reasons as loss of employment, divorce, disability or can't find employment. Granted both parties have agreed to the living arrangements, then some guidelines have to be established that everyone can live by comfortably.  For instance, who is going to to the cooking or is everyone on his/her own. What about guests inside the home? How will the household expenses such as electricity, water, etc. be divided between the members? It can work but it all must be discussed prior to living arrangements being settled.

3. freemarketingnow profile image58
    freemarketingnowposted 12 years ago

They can do chores and pay rent. They are not becoming independent enough.

4. lifelovemystery profile image77
    lifelovemysteryposted 12 years ago

My son lived with me for several months after he got out of the military and I was thrilled to have him home.

The advantages are that he still likes to help me cook. He did help clean and he didn't mind helping around the house.
    The disadvantages are that he tends to hog the remote control. I think that is an issue with the 'Y chromosome'.

5. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

The children likely will not be able to be independent. The children will not have privacy themselves or easily provide privacy for those they live with. Everyone will know all that's going on and perhaps boundaries begin getting overstepped even when they are clearly laid out.

Benefits might include being able to run errands or help out around the house. Perhaps providing medical and other care for aging parents would be a great help. Parents may enjoy having their children with them all the time.

6. Malkie Wersba profile image60
    Malkie Wersbaposted 11 years ago

As an adult child who did this SUCCESSFULLY, I can tell you what worked. First...

1.  I had responsibilities (including financial responsibilities) in the house.  I was responsible for all the dishes, all the shopping (including the cost thereof), and keeping my space & bathroom cleaned, as well as occasionally doing more major cleaning issues.  I was also responsible for the cable bill (even though I never watch TV -- this was just my household contribution and since it was the same every month, I could budget for it).  This allowed my parents to actually appreciate my presence.

2.  It was time limited.  My husband was deployed abroad, and I felt that I could not take care of our 3 children without any support in our east coast home so I move back to my parents' home in California for the 9-months that he was deployed (it was NOT unlimited).  It allowed us all to appreciate the time we had together since we knew we would soon lose it.

3. We spent time together (it was NOT a hotel).  We ate dinner together every night.  My parents delighted in watching my 3 children (and I appreciated the break they gave me), and I delighted in going shopping with my mom (which my dad hates to do) or reading the daily news with my dad (which my mom hates to do).  When I hear of situations where it does not work, it is mostly because the child goes out every night, and just uses their parents' home as a way to avoid paying rent and having responsibilities.

I believe that if you follow these three situations, there are MOSTLY benefits.

1.  Time together
    2.  Help for each other (shared responsibilities)
    3.  A greater appreciation for each other

Indeed, the only problems are more minor: 1. lack of privacy (but temporary), 2. lack of "getting on" with your life (but again temporary), 3. difficulty when it ends (I faced this -- when my husband returned, it was very difficult for me who had become accustomed to my parents' help).

However, I DO believe that if you do not have these 3 requisites, you can have many SERIOUS problems:

1.  Fights
    2.  Unbalanced registration
    3.  Resentment
    4.  No appreciation

I should also add one other anecdote for a child who never leaves (i.e., after high school graduation).  In that case, collect a set amount every month and save it for your child's move-out costs (i.e. don't actually keep the money).  Otherwise it may be impossible for your child to save that money to move out because rent, deposit, etc are expensive.  This is different.

7. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 11 years ago

Advantages
    For the home owners, potentially receiving rent from adult children
    Efficiency of scale, since the same house uses the same energy to heat and cool no matter how many are there
    Sometimes caregiving for the parents who are old, or low cost/no cost childcare of grandchildren

Disadvantages
    Parents conflicting with the "you're my child" view of adult children and treating them as visiting guests
    Adult children who take advantage of adult parents, getting free rent and food and utilities with minimal contribution to the household

8. Penny G profile image60
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

I have found you tend to Mother too much. Step parents aren't as excited about the living situation at least here and this causes a great divide. SIGH……..

9. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12142015_f260.jpg

The advantages include a family network of people who will support & be there for each other.  Also, there is a continuation & evolvement in the parent-child relationship.  Parents & adult child/children have come to an understand, even being comfortable in their new roles & relationships.  Parents & adult child/children tend to see themselves less as parent-child & more like friends & peers with whom each can have an adult conversation/relationship with.

The disadvantages include that some parents still view their adult children as children, never allowing them to grow up.  Such parents demand that their adult children adhere to their particular lifestyle & philosophy.  There are some parents who infantilize their adult children as to prevent them from assuming any type of adult responsibility, even financially supporting them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)