jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Even after an hour nap 2,3 times during the day, my 5 mnth old seems to be tired

1. inveneste profile image50
    invenesteposted 8 years ago

Even after an hour nap 2,3 times during the day, my 5 mnth old seems to be tired still....

He sleeps an hour about 2,3 times during the day.  After his nap and a good drink or 'bite to eat' we play a bit but he just seems to be so tired.  He's never had this before and never really had any naps (aside from an hour after lunch) either, until now.  Can anybody help me?  What can I do?  Sometimes he will go to sleep, at other times he doesn't (even though you can see that he's dead tired (watery, red eyes and rubbing them).  He's a very happy and content little boy.  Always smiling and 'chatting' and we love that.  It's just that he seems so tired.  Too much playing perhaps?  smile

2. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

Babies need a surprising amount of sleep.  Here's on link with a chart as a guideline:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-much-sl … _7645.bc]]

Sometimes babies can seem sleepy when the first wake up, but as they're up a while they're get a little "zippier".

Any time you have a question with your baby, however, you should really contact his doctor.  Red, watery, eyes aren't necessarily something even sleepy baby always has.  Since your baby is acting differently than he had been that's a sign that you should call his doctor.

3. TamCor profile image76
    TamCorposted 8 years ago

If he has red, watery eyes at times, it's possible that he may be developing allergies--that's what my daughter had, and now both of her sons have, too.

Also--taking several naps during the day is pretty normal for the little ones--but I'd definitely take him to his doctor for a check up--you'll feel a lot better if you do! smile

4. profile image0
    Hasifa101posted 8 years ago

Dont worry...thats  a good sign. Psychological studies show that the more comfortable we are with our environment, the more we sleep at that age. your child feels safe at with you, there is that sence of feeling that you are there and not going anywhere so he sleeps as long as he feels the need to. also infants tend to sleep an average of 18 to 20 hrs a day. its a normal cycle. so enjoy, many mothers dont get that lucky...lol. but of course if its a change in pattern, then make sure that your baby is healthy becasue  this might also indicate low iron levels.

5. Suiiki profile image59
    Suiikiposted 8 years ago

I would suggest taking him to the doctor if he is sleeping more than usual for an extended period of time. But if it was just for a short while, there shouldn't be a problem - he might be having a growth spurt. Very small babies are prone to changing sleep patterns though, and your doctor will probably tell you it's nothing to worry about smile

working