jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Ways to get kids to sleep?

1. Lady_E profile image77
    Lady_Eposted 8 years ago

Ways to get kids to sleep?

Sometimes they are so restless and refuse to stay in bed.

2. The Rope profile image57
    The Ropeposted 8 years ago

my dad actually had the perfect answer that worked every time.  once he knew we were worn out, he put us down in a room without a clock and told us to lay still and quiet for 10 minutes, he promised he'd check on us and if at the end of the 10 minutes we had been absolutely still and made no noise and we weren't asleep, he would let us get up.  of course, we would always fall asleep - if not in the original 10 minutes, he'd think up a reason we had to stay another 10 but he never had to do it more than once.  with today's fast pace you'd probably have to extend it to 15 minutes but the idea is to let the child lay there - they have no way of knowing how long it has been.

3. pippap profile image86
    pippapposted 8 years ago

I set up a ritual for my daughters because as a single parent of two daughters I needed my evenings to recharge for the next day.

Each girl had 15 minutes at night to be alone with me and do whatever they wanted.  I would read to them, do their hair, whatever reasonable request they made.  The other child was not allowed to interrupt during this time.

When the last child had her 15 minutes, they had 1/2 hour of quiet time in their room.  They read, crayon, listen to the radio, whatever as long as it was quiet and non-exciting.

Lights out at the end of quiet time was my time.  My children were not allowed out of their rooms after this unless they had to go to the bathroom or became ill.

Once they realized that I would not entertain any ploys to stay up longer, they settled into the routine and bedtime was no problem.

4. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 8 years ago

remind them of something exciting that will happen the following day.  trust and know they will run to bed to start conserving all that energy

5. profile image47
    money12posted 8 years ago

Ask them there favorite movie also there favorite food after you gave them that. Have them run around the house only if you want them to.Play with them for a little give them some kind of emotion to let them know your there. But them to SLEEP.

6. lewisbiel925 profile image52
    lewisbiel925posted 8 years ago

Melatonin helps everyone in my family. It may be worth a try.

Closed to reply

working