jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think you would know if your child was being abuse?

1. Everyday life profile image61
    Everyday lifeposted 8 years ago

Do  you think you would know if your child was being abuse?

2. Liz B profile image57
    Liz Bposted 8 years ago

The secret to knowing is paying attention.  That can be a challenge if you suspect something or suspect nothing.  Look for changes in appearance and behavior. Bust denial at every turn and don't write curious changes or oddities off to age or peers.  Children who are being abused may act out their abuse on a peer or sibling since the conscious awareness of abusive events are too overwhelming, and it is common to coerce the abused child into keeping secrets.
    Inquire at school about any changes in behavior, attention span, performance, and relations with peers.  Shame can lead to withdrawal and acting out or in--that is, inflicting punishment or pain on oneself. 
    All children cope differently but there are some subtleties that will show up in their behavior and demeanor.  Hope this is helpful.

3. profile image47
    Tammi121275posted 8 years ago

Of course. If you "know" your child, then you will see a difference in him/her. There would be changes in the child's behavior and demeanor. However, children will tend to shut down and create a shell around them due to fear and embarrassment. Therefore, it is up to you as a parent to "pay attention" to your child because, in the end, it will be you that will have to crack that shell, protect and remove them from the situation.

4. dawnM profile image64
    dawnMposted 7 years ago

yes, I would know.  I watch my kids behavior and when they act off I alway ask what's going on.  I keep the communication open.  the other thing is that from early on I talked to them about their privates and thats the term we use.  It's very important to keep watch on any dramatic mood changes in your child!

5. LeeWalls profile image61
    LeeWallsposted 7 years ago

If you work with children on a daily basis and know their hangups and the environment they come from, it's easy to tell when they've been abused or are being abused.

working