jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why is it important to have a Moses basket for your newborn?

1. w_elizabeth profile image56
    w_elizabethposted 7 years ago

Why is it important to have a Moses basket for your newborn?

2. pippap profile image84
    pippapposted 7 years ago

I didn't have a traditional Moses basket; but, I had something very similar.  What a blessing!!  The small lightweight basket allowed me to carry my child easily from room to room as I worked without waking her if she was sleeping. 

Many babies like to sleep in a snuggly, confined area.  They have just spent 9 months in the womb and are accustomed to a confined environment.  Some find the largeness of a crib intimidating.

At night I would prepare everything the baby needed for her night-time feed and placed it beside the Moses basket on the floor beside my bed.  At night when she required feeding, I would slip her out the basket, bring her to bed and feed her.  Then I would place her on my stomach and burp her.  The warmth of skin-to-skin contact helps the burping process.  When she'd had her burp, I would slip back into the basket; and, we'd both go back to sleep.  Much more gentle on both of us than both of us having to get out of bed, move around, get chilly, wake up thoroughly...you get the idea.

3. w_elizabeth profile image56
    w_elizabethposted 7 years ago

Yes pippap. I guess that's really one good thing about Moses baskets. It gives you the convenience of carrying your child with you and keeping her next to you even if you're doing a lot of things.

4. JLR1 profile image55
    JLR1posted 7 years ago

A few reasons spring to mind.

As pippap says you can move them around easily and it's very handy for those night feeds.

The main reason we got one is that according to current SIDS advice, a baby should sleep in it's parents' room until it's 6 months old, and it's generally easier to fit a moses basket in than a cot.