jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Why does Michelangelo's sculpture of Moses have horns?

1. Alastar Packer profile image85
    Alastar Packerposted 4 years ago

Why does Michelangelo's sculpture of Moses have horns?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8417919_f260.jpg

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 4 years ago

Aw well as I recall it was a mistranslation of words. He had light radiating from his face or head from having seen God or spirit of and it got interpreted as horns. You probably will get a clearer answer than mine; lowly lady of Hp, lol.

Alastar Packerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's bright thinking, Jackie! And you a lowly HP lady...never!

3. suzettenaples profile image91
    suzettenaplesposted 4 years ago

Alastar:  I don't know why this statue of Moses has horns.  I just stopped by to say congratulations on your book - looks very interesting and I can't wait to read it. I saw it on FB a little while back.  I wondered what had happened to you - busy book writing!

I do look forward to finding out why Moses has horns also. LOL

Hi there Suzette! Thank you so much for the congrats. It was a labor of love for all concerned but turned very well we think. I'm particularly happy of the fact 70% of the sales will go to the K-9 for wounded warriors non-profit - thank you Suzette!

4. gconeyhiden profile image74
    gconeyhidenposted 4 years ago

Believe it or not there was a time when people believed all Jews had horns.  Since Moses was Jewish this may be the reason.  Of course Jews knew they never had horns. back in the day people who met Jews for the 1st. time would check for horns.  this is excellent example of common folk being mislead by hearsay evidence and why it is dangerous to believe everything you hear w.o investigation.

What interesting info on the Jews and how they were perceived. And yes! always investigate things of this type. Thank You!

5. profile image54
    tbHistorianposted 4 years ago

Michelangelo desired to depict the image as one that portrayed Moses as being glorified by God during the encounter on the mountain.  The horns depict a righteous laying of hands upon the individual who received the word of the Lord during the period that Michelangelo constructed the image.  One must research other works during this same period to fully recognize the depiction of honor bestowed upon Moses by Michelangelo.
    Each person visiting the church of San Pietro in Vincoli in Rome will view the horns differently as the light reflects upon the statue from various angles during the day.  Some will see that these are adornments worn as a symbol of accomplishment, while others will view them as tentacles that permitted Moses to communicate with the Lord.  Yet others will become somewhat dumbfounded and befuddled by the depiction.
    Regardless of view everyone who visits the church will become ignited with admiration of the artists accomplishments.

Superb info and thoughts. Some think there was a translation error in Exodus 34:29. The error by Saint Jerome led to depictions of a demon-horned looking Moses.

working