jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is a reasonable age to give kids a cell phone?

1. profile image50
    essexjdlkavaposted 7 years ago

What is a reasonable age to give kids a cell phone?

2. profile image46
    ssps_rscposted 7 years ago

after 24 years,,, he/ she well know about the society, and use properly

3. Polly C profile image92
    Polly Cposted 7 years ago
  4. profile image0
    Bambinoposted 7 years ago

Well..My 13,11 and 9 yr old grandsons have them,which I think is ridiculous,a basic one is in my opinion ok,the type that just send  and receive calls and texts  like I as a  pensioner have,purely because I cannot get my head around the more technical ones !! But no.. they have phones that cost £100 or more..why ? because their friends have them ,and if they get lost ,tragedy,big scene,horror !!I on the other hand I have one that cost £10 from the local supermarket and does me just fine..and ,if it gets lost or stolen it is no big deal,just buy another.
    Answer to question..In todays society I think maybe children could have a phone for a safety measure,a cheap one that does the basics....maybe from about the age of 14 ....when they start staying out a bit later and straying further from home...

5. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 7 years ago

Funny you asked this question as it haunts me right now.  My fifth grader is constantly nagging me for one and contends "everyone else has one."  Oh brother... 

There is no "right" age to allow your kids to have one.  In my opinion, it depends upon the child and the activities the child is involved in.  I can't imagine a need until my kids are much older, well into middle school or beginning high school.  Many parents claim they need to know where their kids are.  I contend fifth grade is WAY too young to not know where they are. 

One of my daughter's best friends is a gymnastics superstar who travels for meets.  That could be a unique situation, however.  Her parents want her to check in with them when she's traveling.

I'd get her a very simple one that can only call one or two numbers, can't text, has no internet access, etc..  Anyway, since she's not my kid, I can only say I will wait for as long as possible as I've heard of "problems" with cell phone use.  The internet's bad enough.

working