jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How to make moving to a new state a positive experience for family members.

1. wannabwestern profile image87
    wannabwesternposted 7 years ago

How to make moving to a new state a positive experience for family members.

Moving to a new place is one of the biggest life changes a family can experience. The stress it places on the family is up there with having a baby and experiencing a death in the family. What tips can you share for easing the moving transition for toddlers, preschoolers, and teens. I have one of each, and a newborn well on the way!

2. Ginger Meow profile image78
    Ginger Meowposted 7 years ago

Good luck with your move, I have written a poem on our recent move called Daylight Zombies - Moving Boxes. I didn't have children to move but it was stressful enough. I don't have much help for you except try to take things in small steps and take a breather when things get too stressful. You need a reassuring partner to help when it all feels like a bad decision and it is too much.

3. Lucy D profile image57
    Lucy Dposted 7 years ago

Make sure each chld has their special cuddlies close, mark all the boxes, have an "open first' box with essentials. Have lots of memories for each chld of places and ppl left behind,(phone calls to friends) make time for family games I know this sounds corny but it helps. Have a really good timetable up so no-one is late for anything, being the last to arrive with all eyes on you is wayy embarrassing.   oh yes........stay calm ..good luck

4. dahoglund profile image81
    dahoglundposted 7 years ago

From my experience it is important to discuss with your children who are old enough to understand the reasons for moving and what things will be like in the new place.This is especially true for those in mid-teens. If possible learn about the schools in the new place and what transition problems there may be.

When our son was fourteen he was in  a four year school and freshman in high school. We moved to Iowa which had a different system and he ended up in a Junior high.I think he still resents it.

Our daughter was in grade school and didn't seem to have too much trouble adjusting. They both missed their friends.

If you can take them on house hunting trips it might hlp them get  acclimated to the idea.