jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

At what point should your child move out of the home? And is there a certain age

1. Treasuresofheaven profile image69
    Treasuresofheavenposted 7 years ago

At what point should your child move out of the home? And is there a certain age they should move?

2. CASE1WORKER profile image69
    CASE1WORKERposted 7 years ago

when they are ready.... i think mine will be mid twenties- with high college fees and housing costs they will stay here until they can afford a place of their own.

3. villanueva21 profile image76
    villanueva21posted 7 years ago

let your child decide. Here Europe, there is no age limit when they should move out of their parents house. They just move when they want too that is if they have a proper job.

4. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 7 years ago

I'm no parent, but I was on my own at a fairly young age not by choice, but I had to do what I had to do.  For parents, I believe from the time that children can walk and do various things.  They   should be given responsibilities around the home so that as they grow older they become independent instead of dependent on others.  More than likely they will take the initiative to go out on their own as they become older wanting and needing to grow as an adult in addition to accomplish things that interest them.  I really don't think their is an age but as they grow they will know as well as the parent will also know and feel comfortable in knowing that they are capable of fending for themselves, and if not you are there for them in times of need.

Vonda G. Nelson

5. FrankiesGirl6Yr profile image79
    FrankiesGirl6Yrposted 7 years ago

I believe a year after high school is sufficient.
    Anything longer than that, mixed messages are sent

My parents will float me forever if I wanted..
    Why move? I pay almost nothing here..

Children will stay, especially if you have no rules or regulation to follow and they have no goals beyond working fast food.
    Mom’s need to push the baby bird out of the nest. If they do not push, they are just prolonging “shelter” and security that needs to be learned independently.

One exception though, If the child has finished high school and attends a local college, I believe a parent should allow the child to stay until their education is complete.

working