jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If you knew a child undergoing child abuse, what would you do? And what are the

  1. 66games profile image60
    66gamesposted 7 years ago

    If you knew a child undergoing child abuse, what would you do? And what are the punishments if...

    it's reported in New Jersey?

  2. lovelypaper profile image67
    lovelypaperposted 7 years ago

    I think if you have infallable proof that abuse is going on, you should report it. However, you should make absolutely sure because many lives are at stake and for whatever reason, it may look like it, but really is not abuse.

  3. K9keystrokes profile image93
    K9keystrokesposted 7 years ago

    Well, if you weren't in Jersey, I would say get on the phone and notify the authorities this very minute and get that child to a safe place away from further pain and abuse! But, since you are in Jersey, where the toughest-nice-guys all live,...I say pick up the phone and call one of these guys and let them determine a creative punitive punishment. After all, the Jersey Shore is right there. ;~)

  4. esatchel profile image90
    esatchelposted 7 years ago

    If you suspect abuse, it is best to contact Child Protective Services so they can investigate. The child deserves to have the benefit of doubt tip in their favor.

    If you are a professional, such as a physician, nurse, social worker or teacher, you have a professional obligation to report suspected abuse (let alone known abuse) and you will be help resonsible if you do not report this to CPS.

    IN NEW JERSEY, visit this link: http://www.state.nj.us/dcf/abuse/how/

    Here are two snippits of info from the site to help you make your decision:

    "In New Jersey, any person having reasonable cause to believe that a child has been subjected to abuse or acts of abuse should immediately report this information to the State Central Registry (SCR). If the child is in immediate danger, call 911 as well as 1-877 NJ ABUSE. A concerned caller does not need proof to report an allegation of child abuse and can make the report anonymously".

    "Any person who knowingly fails to report suspected abuse or neglect according to the law or to comply with the provisions of the law is a disorderly person and subject to a fine of up to $1000 or up to six months imprisonment, or both."


  5. LeeWalls profile image61
    LeeWallsposted 6 years ago

    As a professional you report it no ifs, ands, or buts about it, if you don't, you're an accomplice to what's taking place.