jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it necessary for children to have a religious identity?

1. livelonger profile image93
    livelongerposted 7 years ago

Is it necessary for children to have a religious identity?

2. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

definetly not. religion is something that kids should learn if they want to but not have it forced on them.

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

No. they should suffer no form of indoctrination and then they can make up their own minds when they are old enough to objectively read books, listen to arguments, and make rational, judgements based upon their own analysis.

4. ttrash profile image57
    ttrashposted 7 years ago

No. I disagree with religions which choose to initiate children who have had no say and appreciate no other way of life.  I think it's better to wait until children are at least in their teens before their parents address religious identities. Certainly it's important for kids to understand what religion is, but it shouldn't be forced on them before they can even talk.

5. Nicole Breit profile image79
    Nicole Breitposted 7 years ago

I agree with everyone who responded so far. I would add that if children begin to ask questions of a religious nature, it is fair to share the truth about what some people believe but to also add that no one knows for sure about God, or what happens after we die. I intend to share with my own children the beliefs of the major world religions so they know what other people believe, but leave it up to them to explore and decide for themselves what they believe in - maybe what makes sense to them in the end will be to believe in nothing at all.

working