jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What is the best way to get a drug to a child who rejects eat with a spoon, syri

  1. Paul Berod profile image66
    Paul Berodposted 7 years ago

    What is the best way to get a drug to a child who rejects eat with a spoon, syringe or pills?


  2. Wendy Snow profile image57
    Wendy Snowposted 7 years ago

    Sometimes you have to not be nice. An eyedropper worked for me but I usually had to have my husbands help. He would hold her while I put the dropper inside her cheek and release the meds, usually followed by blowing in her face, forcing her to swallow. It sounds cruel, but as parents,sometimes we do what we have to do for our childs well being.

  3. Marty1 profile image58
    Marty1posted 7 years ago

    I had a problem with this with my daughter when she was very ill. I was advised at the hospital to use a syringe. It worked great!
    A syringe is also very good to rehydrate a child with water when they have been ill. 
    Just don't push the syringe too quickly as it squirts out and can make them throw up.
    Good luck, I hope your child gets well soon!

  4. Anne Pettit profile image71
    Anne Pettitposted 7 years ago

    Most pharmacies provide a medicine spoon which resists spills and it is down before the child resists.  Have as little fanfare as possible and do your best not to make a big deal out it.

  5. GetFitRight profile image59
    GetFitRightposted 7 years ago

    I will say that I was this child. I was freaked out even to swallow cough syrup but not because of taste. Somewhere along the line I must have picked up on my parents worry about my health and their stress of me taking the medicine that I worried myself that if I didn't take it correctly something bad may happen. It is funny looking back and thinking something like that.
    Not sure if that is the case you are dealing with but I would recommend making the child a nice new treat and mixing the medicine in it if you are able to do so. But do this without the child's knowledge if it is a new treat they won't know the taste difference.
    Or you could add it into something that they may not like already liked mashed potatoes and tell them they have to finish it before they get desert but still don't let them know their is medicine in it.
    Hope that helps.

  6. philirodje profile image60
    philirodjeposted 7 years ago

    My little boy sometimes rejects his drugs when given with spoon then my wife would use syringe  and it works with syringe.

  7. fordie profile image74
    fordieposted 7 years ago

    If we only had our first boy I'd have probably given you a bland answer. Now we have the second I understand your issue. Nothing seemed to work. We tried 'cruel to be kind' and all kinds of incentives. He is as stubborn as. I can't really pinpoint the change but I'd say it was probably when we made less of the issue - just held the spoon in front of him and said 'have this'.

    Good luck.

  8. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

    Many years ago we had this problem.  Our daughter age 2.5, would NOT take the medicine.  We told the doctor who basically told us she needed the medicine and who were the parents in our home.  We felt a little foolish.

    We went home, told her she had to take the medicine, no ifs, ands, or buts, and that once she did it, she could have a popsicle. 

    Worked like a charm and we ended up making a game out of it. Once she knew it was what was going to happen and our attitude was firm but loving, she did it.

  9. Paul Berod profile image66
    Paul Berodposted 7 years ago

    Thanks for the support of every one of you.
    We will continue to try and invent, but still not easy.
    It would be good if they could take it easy, odorless, tasteless, and at doses well below those allowed to mix with the food. Food ... when eating.


    Paul Berod