jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you handle the sex talk with your teenage daughter? Wait til marriage or.

1. cgress1 profile image59
    cgress1posted 6 years ago

How do you handle the sex talk with your teenage daughter? Wait til marriage or...

As a parent - How would you handle talking with your teenage daughter about sex?  Do you think they should wait til marriage or at least until they are out of highschool?

2. thougtforce profile image88
    thougtforceposted 6 years ago

Where I live there is little chance in them waiting until they are married or even until high school! My main focus is to give her enough knowledge to protect herself from unwanted pregnancy and from sexual transferred infections and to give her enough self confidence and courage to say no when she don’t want to have sex and only have sex for the right reasons.
    I try to bring about the reasons for having sex with the right person and that sex is supposed to be something positive, not something one does just to have it done or have sex just because a boyfriend wants it!
    And of course I try to give her reasons to wait with sex, but I am not focusing on a certain age but until the circumstances are right for her. I also let her know she can come to me no matter what. I won’t be happy with her if she gets herself in some kind of trouble but the main thing is that she is alright. They are in the beginning of a long learning period and the longer they wait, the better, since they will get more common sense and better judgement with age.

3. Mrs Roberts profile image54
    Mrs Robertsposted 6 years ago

I would wait till they are married but kids are gonna do things they want compared to what we done or thaught about. the reason why you kid is asking these questions is cause they maybe studying it in school

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Statistics show that the biggest influence on a teen's decision is what the parent thinks-and we didn't base our views or modify them because of what they might do anyway.  We didn't hand them a bottle of scotch and say, well you are probably going to drink anyway.

We told them what we really think is right, and what we expected of them.  Because we are a Christian family, we told the girls that sex was an absolutely normal and beautiful thing but that it is meant for marriage.

We were always very open about talking about it and both our daughters respected our views,. asked questions, talked about temptation etc.

working