jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are some tips on helping your teenager become a vegetarian?

1. BizGenGirl profile image86
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

What are some tips on helping your teenager become a vegetarian?

Many teenagers at some point decide they want to be vegetarians for various reasons. I feel this is a healthy experience and I'm wondering what ways a meat eating family can help support their teenagers choice to be meat free?

2. prektjr.dc profile image86
    prektjr.dcposted 6 years ago

Boy!  I am probably the last person to answer this one....our family is such a group of carnivores!!  I would say, however, that reinforcing any healthy choice made by a teen is a smart move!

Be sure to add a good variety of vegetables to the fridge so that your teen has a lot to choose from when it is meal time.  I might also sit down with my teen and look at meat alternatives, and our budget and see what ideas we could put to work in our meals.  It might also be a good time for your teen to begin assisting with some cooking.  If he/she wanted to narrow their food choices to only fruits and vegetables, they might be interested in working up the dishes that are meat free. 

Encouraging them to take an active role will do one of two things: make them change their mind or reinforce their good decision.

3. Jon Hunt profile image60
    Jon Huntposted 6 years ago

Eat peanut butter, tofu, rice and other non meat products to get protein. I am not a vegetarian, I just try to eat a nice balanced diet, so if you want to stop something, you need to replace it so that it's all good. Hope this helps!

4. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

i'm far from being a vegetarian but i would support my kids if they wanted to be one. cook recipes that meat is an option and then separate their food before you add the meat. make sure they eat a variety of vegies and just try to help in any ways they suggest.