jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How important is it to preserve pictures for your future family?

1. K9keystrokes profile image92
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

How important is it to preserve pictures for your future family?

2. profile image0
    will345davisposted 6 years ago

Photographs are an important thing to have. Very few things compare to the feeling that is given when you look back on your life at all of the things you've done. All those memories come flooding back. Eventually kids will want to know what their parents lookedlike at their age, or how they looked when they were younger.

3. profile image0
    KellyVialposted 6 years ago

It is extremely important to me to preserve photos for future family generations both personally and speaking from from a genealogical stand point. As a family historian myself, having pictures of my past generations is very important in my research as I also like to put a face to a name. Memories that last a lifetime, photos of family are the treasures of the past. It is interesting to me to see old, vintage photographs as it as if you are looking into the windows of the past. You are able to to tell a lot of things just by looking at an old picture. You can see what your family looked like, how they dressed, what the style was back then, and also how they may have lived their lives. Photos tell a story and are a priceless treasure to many. As I look back into my own photos, some of the memories attached to these photos brings back such great memories. A smile comes to my face as I view my children's baby pictures and the different milestones that I have captured with my camera, my wedding pictures also bring back memories of getting married on the beach in Hawaii, having family and friends taking even more pictures brings back such sweet memories. I never in all my life, ever thought I would move to Hawaii, so just viewing these wedding photos made me long to go back! My vacation pictures, places I have been, things I have done in my life, and my own personal milestones such as graduation brings back so many memories. You can see how you have changed over the years, even by looking at the hairstyles and changes in fashion in your own pictures. My best years growing up as a young teenager was in the 1980's when shoulder pads were the in thing and so was big hair! Funky clothing that were both Madonna and Cyndi Lauper inspired; it is funny to look at now and also embarrassing, but that was then and this is now. Kids can be curious at some time in their life, as to how their own parents may have looked at certain ages and possibly laugh with you. I remember laughing at one of my own mothers photos when she told me the story of a photo when she was in New York, she had been to the salon, the stylists used beer on her hair to make her hair stiff! She said it was so stiff that she couldn't even get a comb through her hair. That was just a funny memory to me. Pictures are worth a thousand words...and then some!

4. Judi Bee profile image95
    Judi Beeposted 6 years ago

Extremely important - a picture paints a thousand words and can hold a great many clues.  You may not spot them, but someone else will.  In addition, children can appreciate a photograph long before they can read about their family history.