jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Film Censor V Parent?

1. gabrielthomas72 profile image76
    gabrielthomas72posted 6 years ago

Film Censor V Parent?

Do you allow your kids to watch films, that according to your countries film censor, they are not old to enough to watch? If so, what are your reasons for doing so?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6158897_f260.jpg

2. tonymead60 profile image92
    tonymead60posted 6 years ago

I try and keep the kids away from material I don't think is suitable, however my granddaughter was watching a film recently passed for 12 year olds which was way over the top for language, and content. I think parents should not trust the censors, but set their own standards.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

I do my best to make sure that the films my kids (ages 9 and 4) watch are "kid friendly." Though now that my 9 year old is starting to become interested in some of the DVDs in my personal collection like "Jurassic Park," "Jaws," "The Simpsons Movie," "Indiana Jones," etc., I have allowed him to watch certain films but others are off limits till he's a little older.

4. Sami theshark profile image60
    Sami thesharkposted 5 years ago

I am personally very careful on what my kids watch. The censors are there for a reason and I do truely believe that it is the parents responsibility to know what the contents of the films are before letting the kids watch them. I am certain that any film PG's or under are pretty safe to just buy and let them see without preview as with censors you have an idea of guidelines that are already set out. I think some 12's should be 15's and some 15's should be 18's. I think that kids are quite desensitized these days and although we are in the 21st century we still have a responsibility not let them join in armchair voyerisum that some 15's and a lot of 18's include. Kids have a long time to be adults but only a short time to be kids. Every parent has there own guidleines for what is acceptable and what is not. The censors are there for a reason and we could question well who says they are right? That is then down to the parent. My kids are now teens are wanting to watch films that their mates have watched, some of which are totally inappropriate. Does this then make me overprotective or the parents of the other kids too laid back or lazy?? If you look back to the 90's Jamie Bulger case, they said the two boys that killed the toddler were obessed with horror films, is there a correlation there? I personally think they may have fed into their sick psyche's. I don't think they are the sole cause. Just food for thought yikes)

working