jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you make a safe treehouse for young kids?

1. GA Anderson profile image81
    GA Andersonposted 6 years ago

How do you make a safe treehouse for young kids?

2. Ruby H Rose profile image76
    Ruby H Roseposted 6 years ago

Make sure the walls and floor are strong enough they won't fall through.  A couple of windows for a good view, so they aren't hanging out the door all the time, pushing one another out.  A sturdy ladder built onto the tree with ropes or something to help support their up and down climb.  And most of all, not very high, cause you might be surprised how many  would like to try and fly!

3. Terri Meredith profile image73
    Terri Meredithposted 6 years ago

build a house on the ground in the shape of a tree???  sorry, couldn't help myself.

4. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

I did that when I was young where I lived in kampong.

Now, it is no longer possible in Singapore. But I am thinking of building one in my brother's house who is living in New Zealand.

He has a nice big tree in his garden so it will be good to have a tree house there. I will do some steps climbing on the tree itself and find the strongest branches to hold the wooden planks. It will be covered with canvas in case of raining.

5. Adams-ebooks profile image67
    Adams-ebooksposted 6 years ago

Make it from good quality wood, use plenty of nails and wood glue.

Brace it well against the tree with struts and even metal rio bar if you have it.

Drill holes in the tree and insert rio compliments of a hammer, use this for bracing..

As for the roof, depends where you live and the weather!?
    Tin, sheet metal, or just plywood would do fine. Thatched if you got the skills!

A safe, secure and quality ladder of some sort.

Use some weather resistant paint or wood shield to make sure it stands against rot and insects.

Get creative!

6. xethonxq profile image64
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

Solid floor base, railings, sturdy ladder, soft type of mulch on the ground....and supervision (eyeball supervision if the kids are older than 8 and direct, hands on supervision if they are 5-8). I personally wouldn't let anyone younger than 5 in a tree house. They aren't sturdy/steady enough yet.