jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the best way to teach a non-sharing toddler to share?

1. GA Anderson profile image82
    GA Andersonposted 6 years ago

What is the best way to teach a non-sharing toddler to share?

2. fosginger profile image61
    fosgingerposted 6 years ago

I found it easy by trading at first. This helps tremidiously

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Toddler's are too young to understand sharing.  If you really look closely at sharing, especially among siblings, you will find the more aggressive child is the one who always gets the toy or whatever.  Less aggressive child will back off and act like it doesn't matter (but it does).

I wouldn't ask a toddler to share until they get a little bit older and can understand things better, and begin to be able to understand that other people have feelings which is anywhere from 4 to 5 years old.

4. Catzgendron profile image74
    Catzgendronposted 6 years ago

My two year old granddaughter is having trouble with that right now so my daughter and son  in law will share with each other in front of her and say oh daddy thank you for sharing with me, for example they will ask if they can sit in their chair, then get up and change chairs or ask if they want a cracker or cookie and say thank you for sharing with me.  It seems to work.

5. Ona Canady profile image60
    Ona Canadyposted 6 years ago

I tell my toddler that she doesn't own any of her toys, that they are mind till she gets older. I tell her that she must share the toys or their won't be any toys to share. If she chooses not to share them I take the toy away and hide it in my closet until she is ready to share. I'm a firm believer that our children have to many toys and need to use more of their imagination. Board games also help with sharing. It shows a child how to take turns.