jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is it ever right to bribe a child?

1. Lady Wordsmith profile image82
    Lady Wordsmithposted 6 years ago

Is it ever right to bribe a child?

I hardly ever bribe my children to do something.  But I recently decided to bribe my eldest son into reading regularly.  I promised to give him a small prize for every book he finishes (we're keeping a chart, so he can see how well he's doing also).  I think this is fine, because it's encouraging him to read (very important) which is not his favourite thing to do.  I also know that it won't lead to other kinds of bribery for things like good behaviour, and so on.  But perhaps you might think it's wrong to bribe children, no matter what you're bribing them to do?

2. cloverleaffarm profile image64
    cloverleaffarmposted 6 years ago

I would have to say no. Bribery can lead to asking for more bribes down the road. You think it won't, but I have seen it over many years of both raising kids, and working with them. I believe in encouraging children to read, as reading is important. It doesn't say how old he is, but maybe you could encourage him by reading together. I got my son to read by doing plays with him. He didn't like to read, but he did it so he could act out the part. Have him pick out a book and ask him what he thinks about it. Have him come up with an alternative ending.
    There are so many ways to get kids to read, and I don't believe bribes should be one of them.
    Good luck.

3. Twilight Lawns profile image83
    Twilight Lawnsposted 6 years ago

I think there is nothing wrong with bribing (if that is the word that should be used here) a child , or anyone for that matter.
    The whole life experience is a series of stops and starts, rewards and punishments.  I would have loved to have been bribed to read, as a child, because I already loved reading and I would have though of the "bribe" as being an added bonus (Is there a subtracted bonus?).
    Think about going to work, and not being "bribed" with a salary or wages - "Don't worry, Boss, I don't need to be bribed with money.  I'll just do this because I love it".
    Yeah!  Right.
    Think of it this way; if the child finds that he/she likes reading, then the bribe was worth it, and if not, it was a try,
    You can always beat the crap out of him if he refuses to read when the bribes dry up.
    Ha ha!

4. Ciel Clark profile image73
    Ciel Clarkposted 6 years ago

Incentive, not bribery! 

I do it for things like chores with my 12 year old.  He gets it.  "Take a shower and tidy your room, then you can ________." 

Reading is different for me, because it shouldn't be a chore.  I understand it is not everyone's favorite thing though--  both my sons love reading-- they see me reading all the time and probably wanted to see what all the fuss is about.