jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What are the best books that every child should read before the age of 13?

1. Robie Benve profile image98
    Robie Benveposted 5 years ago

What are the best books that every child should read before the age of 13?

2. vbulletinskins profile image60
    vbulletinskinsposted 5 years ago

I'd say Harry Potter was one that really pushed my imagination.

However, less popular books I'd recommend are on a typical middle school's reading list.

Walk two moons - teaches a lot about think about others
    A mid summer night's dream - basic Shakespeare to introduce children to literature
    Roll of thunder hear my cry - fantastic book about social prejudices
    To kill a mockingbird - just one of the best books ever written. this is considered a classic.

There are many more. Just search for Middle School Reading list for more.

3. Catzgendron profile image73
    Catzgendronposted 5 years ago

Are You There God, It's Me Margaret, one of Judy Blume's best books, any other books she has written are would be worth the read.

4. hoteltravel profile image71
    hoteltravelposted 5 years ago

A child should be exposed to different genres, starting with picture books, fairy tales, fantasies, fables, classics, moral stories, mysteries, comics and last but not least, humor. It is indeed difficult to give a list of books, as children have diverse tastes. Enid Blyton is one author with a variety of books for this age group. Roald Dahl, Judy Blume, Louis Sachar and Jeff Kinney are some of the most popular authors. And, of course, Harry Potter and Percy Jackson books.

5. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 5 years ago

Where the Wild Things Are, The Magic Faraway Tree, and Swallows and Amazons would be my childrens' library.

6. glenn wallace profile image74
    glenn wallaceposted 5 years ago

The Geek Dad blog on Wired.com has a list of 60+ books that geeky literary types should consider reading to their kid before the age of 10. I've only gotten through four or five of them so far, but my little one's under 2 years old, so I've got some time.

7. melissaschulz profile image61
    melissaschulzposted 5 years ago

My daughter is obcessed with The Percy Jackson series. I actually am reading them also just to see what the craz is. I reading is smooth as silk. It flow so like chocolate coming out of a fountain. Any the charcter are well developed and are growing in each book. My daughter has really grown as a person reading these books. She has become more confident, she has really been inspired by tis series to learn all about greek gods. Any way these book have really peeked her interest and made her better reader and isn't that the name of the game.

8. wolfee profile image69
    wolfeeposted 5 years ago

A list of books that I have enjoyed reading with my children. Books that will make any child a lover of reading. read more

9. Ruby211 profile image70
    Ruby211posted 5 years ago

I read "The diary of Anne Frank" , "Maniac Magee", and alot of Dr. Suess books before 13. I now am decent rhymer, I love history, and have a deeper understanding of culture because of these books. Theres so many out there and every child is different I think its best to find what that child is most interested in to help inspire them to read.

10. Der Meister profile image70
    Der Meisterposted 5 years ago

The Boxcar Children is a great series for kids.

working