jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

The big "13" how do you feel about thirteen year olds and cell phones/facebook/i

1. AliceFSpencer profile image61
    AliceFSpencerposted 5 years ago

The big "13" how do you feel about thirteen year olds and cell phones/facebook/ipods ?

There are so many devices that kids are asking for, you want to reward them but is this an information over load.

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 5 years ago

I don't 'feel' about the matter at all,; however I 'think', they should not be allowed to become involved in those things but be alllowed to let their childhood to finnish.

3. larcaustin46 profile image89
    larcaustin46posted 5 years ago

We felt it necessary to provide a basic, no-frills cellphone for our 13-year-old so that she could let us know immediately if an after-school activity would end sooner or later than expected.  She's 15 now and has been very responsible about her texting and phone usage.  We're already researching phones for our 12-year-old for next school year, when he'll need one for the same reasons.

The key, I think, is sitting down and discussing expectations, boundaries, and consequences before anything has been purchased.  As you said, these are rewards that can be taken away if they are not handled responsibly.

4. AliceFSpencer profile image61
    AliceFSpencerposted 5 years ago

larcaustin46 I like that planning and setting rules makes evething so much easier!!

working