What advice can you give about cell phones? (Weekly Topic Inspiration)

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

What advice can you give about cell phones? (Weekly Topic Inspiration)

Whether you’re a fan of them or not, cell phones are probably a part of your life. What plans and phones work best for you? How have you saved money? How do you approach new phone technology and releases? Share your advice and expertise as part of the Weekly Topic Inspiration challenge.

For search-friendly titles and group support, stop by the official forum thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/100086

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6637355_f260.jpg

2. Kaili Bisson profile image96
    Kaili Bissonposted 11 years ago

Hi Simone. I'm going to come up with something on how I approach new phone technology and releases...it may be rather tongue-in-cheek  :-)

3. Mike Summers profile image59
    Mike Summersposted 11 years ago

I supppose that the answer may vary quite a bit here but since I am in the cell phone business I can offer these observations.

Anyone who is using Verizon or AT&T is paying more than necessary. There are non-contract brands using the same networks which charge less for the same amont of usage.

People think short term when it comes to buying a phone. "Oh it's free with activation? That's a great deal, I'll take it." No it's not a great deal in the long run. The whole buy-now-pay-later mentality costs you more over time.

Most of the females that I know prefer iPhones above anything else.

People who text with a physical keyboard have a hard time switching over to a touchscreen but eventually get used to it and are happy that they did.

If you are likely to break your phone the Samsung Galaxy series will be the most expensive to repair. I'd recommend insurance if that is an option.

Putting a wet cell phone in a bag of rice is a short term solution. Get it to a repair center as soon as possible before the trapped moisture begins the corrosion process.

If you have wi-fi at home and at work you can get buy with a very small data package.

I pay $30 per month for 250 voice, unlimited text and 10 MB of data per month through an AT&T MVNO. That is plenty for me although you can choose from a variety of plans which will work for you. If your cell phone bill is over $60 per month then you are paying more than necessary in the US.

4. ahmed.b profile image68
    ahmed.bposted 11 years ago

I would just say that mobile phones are useful and important part of today's life as long as you do not let them enslave you. I would recommend that practice some self decipline while using them. Get to knoiw the concept of degital dieting and practice it. http://ahmedb.hubpages.com/hub/Digital- … Productive

5. oldhorse profile image60
    oldhorseposted 11 years ago

Family plans are a good deal for phone service.  The additional lines are pretty inexpensive, even if the people on the plan aren't really a family.  You just have to sign up with people you trust like family.

Unfortunately, data plans, the money sink of all smart phones, don't come with family plan pricing.  You can decide not to get a smart phone, or just grin an bear the financial abuse.

SMS in the US is also a huge rip-off.  In many countries text messages are really cheap an used in place of voice calls, but in the US you are better off getting a data plan and using gtalk, twitter, skype ... over the Internet, if you are going to be sending lots of text messages.

6. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 11 years ago

Can anyone go twenty minutes, or even an hour without texting.  It seems people are texting away on screens rather than engaging in conversation with the people around the.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I only text my son about once a week and that is if he does not answer his phone. If you do not answer, I will send you an e-mail. If I do not have your address, it must not be a big deal.

7. mahendra1270 profile image58
    mahendra1270posted 11 years ago

As per me a hardcore mobile lover must never buy only touch screen phone due to its limitations.

8. rfmoran profile image71
    rfmoranposted 11 years ago

I have no idea how we ever got by without them. I once drove off the road into a ravine in a rural area in a snow storm. Were it not for my cell phone, the cops may not have found me until spring. I actually know somebody who doesn't have one ( a newspaper reporter - I'm not making this up).

My advice is this: if you find it annoying to be constantly available, remember the days when you had to pull over and look for a phone booth.

1. cperuzzi profile image89
      cperuzziposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do.  It wasn't so bad.  You were off the grid and "urgent" problems could wait until the next day at work.

9. cperuzzi profile image89
    cperuzziposted 11 years ago

Practically every cellphone has a camera and practically everyone owns a cellphone. Do you know what that means? If anything ordinary or extraordinary happens to you (or in your immediate area), people will photograph it or video it (depending on the quality of your friend's cellphone). That means we're monitoring ourselves.  And then we post what we see on Facebook or Youtube.  We are putting ourselves under our own surveillance. read more

10. cperuzzi profile image89
    cperuzziposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the inspiration... But you started me ranting on a new hub.

Please read for all the reason you don't want a cell phone.

11. JillKostow profile image87
    JillKostowposted 11 years ago

In today's society families are running around from place to place like a bunch of maniac. This is especially true for families with multiple children. You find yourself having to juggle work, school, school activities, sports, and what ever else is thrown into this chaotic mix. How do you keep track of each other amidst the chaos? For most of us it is through our cell phones. A prepaid cell phone is great to give your child to reach you if you can not always be present. read more

12. EuroCafeAuLait profile image78
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 11 years ago

Unlimited Cell Phone Plans are still in vogue and can be obtained for a limited time only.  Now that two major carriers, AT/T and Verizon have discontinued unlimited date options (like calls, IM texting, MMS and SMS messages) other carriers may follow suit.  Those researched are Cricket, PrepaydWireless, Sprint and Virgin (for UK users) and the prices range from $29.99 to $35.00 month, among the cheapest unlimited cell phone plans out there. read more

13. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 11 years ago

Tips to reduce cell phone interference, extend cell phone battery life and increase cell phone range. read more

14. LiamBean profile image80
    LiamBeanposted 11 years ago

I think the best advise is to buy for your primary use. Of course, this is difficult if you haven't used a smartphone before or if you aren't sure what you'll be doing with it.

If all you are going to do is talk then get the most basic phone possible with good coverage and a low monthly (unlimited) rate.

If you are going to text a lot I honestly prefer a phone with a keyboard.

If text is only one facet and you will be sharing pictures, your location, video of your activities, then a phone like the iPhone or Android.

If you are a senior with the need for rapid emergency response, large text, and or the ability to work with a hearing aid then you'll want a phone that will dial an emergency number, automatically text your emergency to five different people and even alert people around you with a siren. There is a phone like that.

1. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

By the way, I've written at least ten hubs on feature/smart phones and plans. Two were specifically for the "older" user. One in particular seems to have the needs of the senior cellular user firmly in mind.

15. Suzie HQ profile image90
    Suzie HQposted 11 years ago

The world of Cell phones or Mobile phones is forever changing. For example,the iPhone of today will be a relic in 10 years. This is a humorous look at the cell phone through Words, Art, Photos and Images because love them or hate them, they are here to stay. read more

16. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

The Jitterbug idea, a cell phone that's just a phone, is great. Added health support features are fine. But customer service problems are too common. read more

17. thougtforce profile image85
    thougtforceposted 11 years ago

Is it possible that cell phones are good for teens? Is it also possible that cell phones can be used as a learning tool in school instead of being a problem and being banned from lectures? And is it possible that we as parents today just haven't yet understood all the pros with our teens having a cell phone? read more

18. randomcreative profile image89
    randomcreativeposted 11 years ago

The topic of cell phone manner and etiquette is just as important for teachers as it is for students.  As a teacher, exhibiting appropriate behavior sets a good example and ensures a smooth, uninterrupted atmosphere in many types of school settings. read more

19. Camille Harris profile image88
    Camille Harrisposted 11 years ago

Ever see those people so enthralled with their phones they don't pay attention to where they're walking?:  You probably think that something like that could never happen to you, but since I ditched my mobile phone, I've noticed most cell phone... read more

20. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Make free international calls and text for free with these cell phone apps.  Here's how to avoid international calling and data charges. read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)