jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How to Make a Toddler Listen to You?

1. Shil1978 profile image92
    Shil1978posted 6 years ago

How to Make a Toddler Listen to You?

2. jm72writes profile image86
    jm72writesposted 6 years ago

If you want your toddler to listen to you, get down on their level.  Look them in the eye and speak clearly and softly.  They won't pay attention to yelling, but will get quiet to hear a softer voice.  You may have to wait until they quiet down if they are crying or screaming, but trying to outdo their noise isn't the answer.  Remain calm and it will help them to get calm and be ready to listen to what you have to say.

3. rclinton5280 profile image76
    rclinton5280posted 6 years ago

It's really hard to make a toddler do anything. I believe this is mostly about repetition and expectation. Positively reinforce the good behavior, and try not to acknowledge the bad. Over time, if all the child's role models do this, they will learn what is expected and do it accordingly. I wrote a hub on the subject recently. You can find it here.  http://rclinton5280.hubpages.com/hub/A- … hould-Know

4. the girls profile image81
    the girlsposted 6 years ago

From my experience, I make a toddler listen to me by speaking slower to them and projecting a soother voice. Acting things out also helps them understand what I'm trying to tell them.

Thank you Shil978 for asking. I appreciate it.

5. robertdoell profile image56
    robertdoellposted 6 years ago

I always wondered about using sign language. Can toddlers talk yet, I forget.

6. hoteltravel profile image72
    hoteltravelposted 6 years ago

Once we realize that any relationship is a two-way street, you can make others listen to you irrespective of their age. Children repeat what parents do. By being a good listener, you can teach them the art of listening to others patiently. As it is impossible to say yes to all their demands, give them a valid reason whenever you are denying their wish. Never allow your voice to rise above normal pitch. In my experience, kids are easier to deal with than adults.

7. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Speak to them quietly , even though it is terribly tempting to yell.  Also touch them, kneel down or put them on your lap and make eye contact.  Get them used to looking at you when you talk - it is much easier that way to be sure you have their attention.

Don't get discouraged that you have to repeat things over and over for them.  Believe it or not, what you say is sinking in.  You will finally hear it one day when they have kids and you hear them talking to their children.