jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why is crawling developmentally important?

1. jimmythejock profile image86
    jimmythejockposted 6 years ago

Why is crawling developmentally important?

Baby firsts, is it better for a baby to crawl before walking?

2. VirginiaLynne profile image98
    VirginiaLynneposted 6 years ago

I believe that there is some research which indicates that the movement of crawling is related to brain development and right left brain interaction.  I do know that some kids who aren't reading well are sometimes led back through crawling to help them develop better reading abilities (and other right/left type physical activities).  However, I was not a crawler myself.  I was born with a dislocated hip and was treated by an old time doctor who had my parents put 3 diapers on me as a way of treating the problem--which made it impossible for me to crawl--I scooted instead and did not walk until I was 18 months.  I did have trouble learning to read until 2nd grade, but was reading adult level at 5th grade.  I don't know if there was a connection!

3. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 6 years ago

Virginia is correct in stating that there is a correlation between the developing brain, the movement and coordination of the crawling baby and the ability to learn, reading etc, in a logical sequence.  Although I do not know the finite details, I am aware of this researched area of brain development.  Personally, my cousin did not crawl and had to later 'retrain' the brain and go through a series of movement therapy, which included crawling, before there was a noticeable difference in his reading.

4. twoseven profile image83
    twosevenposted 6 years ago

Summary of research on whether there are any concerns about babies who skip crawling and go straight to walking.  Reviews books, articles, and websites with information on babies who don't crawl.  Overall conclusion is that there is no research showing that skipping crawling on its own is a sign of developmental problems. read more