What resources are available to build a family tree that contains American India

1. homesteadbound profile image90
    homesteadboundposted 5 years ago

What resources are available to build a family tree that contains American Indian lineage?

What are the best resources available to research genealogy if you are needing to find ancestors that are American Indian? What are good sites to research? Are different sites available for different tribes? Do you need to go to a location to do onsite research?

2. JamaGenee profile image83
    JamaGeneeposted 5 years ago

If you're certain the ancestors actually were Native Americans and know the name of the tribe, you can Google for that tribe's headquarters and they'll tell you where to find records and such (like the Indian Rolls).  In many cases, you won't have to travel to a location to do onsite research, but there may be a charge to have someone else look up the records for you.

That said, if you don't know **for sure** the ancestors were Native American...i.e. it's only a rumor passed down in your family...then you'd best look for them first in the Federal censuses (from the 1850 census through 1900) in whatever state they lived in.  If you find them in the censuses, then they probably *weren't* Native Americans because Indians were enumerated in a different type of record (such as the Indian Rolls).

Good luck! ;D

1. Shri Mc profile image61
      Shri Mcposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It is my Family who sponsors the Cherokee Pow wow each year. Still I have not signed a roll but when you know who you are you just need to pass it down thru your family verbal or in stories because as In the past can records be falsified or destroyed

working