jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is it okay for a father to give tips of advice to daughter re menstruation befor

1. nick071438 profile image56
    nick071438posted 6 years ago

Is it okay for a father to give tips of advice to daughter re menstruation before her first period?

It's common knowledge that girls who are about to have menstruation get pieces of advice how to cope with them from mothers, female peers and female teachers.  From observation fathers are relegated to the background in the administration of this particular task.  Why? Are fathers' not after the well-being of female offspring? Are they not capable of effectively delivering the issue? What's your say?

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

I'm sure it's fine for some people, but what can I possibly tell my daughters?

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Of course a father is capable but you have to consider the feelings of of the daughter.  She may feel awkward talking about it with her father.

Wouldn't a boy feel awkward talking about his first erection with his mother?

Yes, both parents are capable but please consider the children's feelings.  It isn't about leaving one parent out of the loop, it is about sensitivity.

4. fitmom profile image84
    fitmomposted 6 years ago

I know I was very embarrassed for my father to even know when I had my first period. I asked my mom not to tell him and she did. He made a comment to me and I was so humiliated.

Now it seems silly that I was embarrassed, but that's hindsight. It was for me at the time, and I will remember that with my children.

I would just get cues from your daughter and see what her comfort level is.

5. kittyjj profile image71
    kittyjjposted 6 years ago

I don't think this has anything to do with a father's knowledge or capabilities.  It has to do with an Individual sensitivity.  Recently, my soon-to-be 11-year-old daughter secretly took me into the bathroom.  She locked the door and turned on the fan so that my husband in the next room wouldn't hear our conversation.  Then, she started whispering the questions about menstruation, bra, and boyfriends.  So, I would say my husband should stay out of these topics unless our daughter goes to him with those questions first.

6. krillco profile image93
    krillcoposted 6 years ago

Because of the natural psychosexual aversions to sexualized topics between parents and children of opposite genders (based in the incest taboo), it would be a psychological violation for dad to do this.

7. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 5 years ago

Being a mother of 3 daughters I know that this is a subject girls want to dicuss with their mother /older sister/ Auntie or anyother female that has been through the same experience,
    Fathers can talk to daughters about it however most girls would rather only discuss it with other females and prefer Dads not to bring up the subject at all.
    Teach them almost everything else in life - cooking- how to drive - change a tyre ............

working