Why are kids so demanding today?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. algarveview profile image74
    algarveviewposted 12 years ago

Why are kids so demanding today?

2. EstherH profile image61
    EstherHposted 12 years ago

Personally I think it is all down to advertising and what other kids have.  When we were all younger we made do with hand-me-downs and we eagerly played outside till it was dark.  Now all that seems to be wanted is what the neighbours child has or what the latest toy on tv is.

3. Wizzie Crone profile image61
    Wizzie Croneposted 12 years ago

I'm afraid many families don't teach their children to respect. In fact I don't think they know the meaning of the word. Children are rude to their parents, their siblings, teachers, peers, the elderly. It is the curse of our age. Teachers have no control of their classes because parents have not taught their children right from wrong. So much disagreement toward corporeal punishment has served to throw out the baby with the bathwater. I don't agree with hitting a child, but if that is taken away, there has to be some kind of discipline put in place of spankings. Unfortunately that hasn't happen and kids rule. So whatever they want, their beleaguered parents take the easy way out and get the little darlings what they want.

There are more serious consequences to this attitude than we realize. Maybe some of you have noticed that the ranking of America in science and math compared to the rest of the world is abysmal. I heard just this week that America is 29 worldwide. We have free schools. Children are free for 12 years to complete their education. Do they? No. They have an attitude of "try and make me learn." And some of the very brightest are the worst. How do I know? I'm a teacher.

4. lovelife08 profile image60
    lovelife08posted 12 years ago

This might sound a little harsh but...

I think a lot of it is the parents. Today's young parents seem to be doing everything in their power to be different from their own parents.

As a result, today's kids are not as disciplined, and some parents even make excuses for them, saying they "can't help it" when they actually can. Of course there are those children who really can't help it, but for the sake of this question, I'm speaking of the ones that can.

Today's kids are cruel and selfish. And lazy to boot. They want their parents to give them everything they want, and a lot of them do just to avoid confrontation. There can be any number of reasons why they would avoid putting their foot down. Maybe they just don't feel like dealing with them. Maybe they have run out of ideas and given up. Maybe they are scared that they will be too harsh. Who knows. But I do know that everything starts at home. And whatever starts there feeds off of the outer environment.

5. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 12 years ago

May I "pile-on"?????

Yes... today's PARENTS are producing the generation(s) of offspring who believe that the World was invented strictly for them.  I see so much of it around me.... kids being coddled... limited or lack of manners.... and "institutions" spending so much time and attention on kids' "self-respect".... it's quite out-of-proportion....

As a result of such things as:   not keeping score (or determining winner/loser) in kids' sports...... giving a present to EVERY kid who attends a birthday party.... not "keeping back" (to repeat a grade) in school.....    these youngsters NEVER learn what is "failure".... so they grow up believing (and expecting) a "safety net" to always be there below them, regardless of how or if they perform. 

It's really terribly unfair to those kids.... and we see it in the global society, wherein there are OTHER countries where these concepts (success-vs-failure) have NOT been compromised.... so young people in those countries can trample over their counterparts in the USofA.... and all our kids can do is look around in wonderment and ask,  "Where's my trophy????"

6. Monisajda profile image60
    Monisajdaposted 12 years ago

In my opinion it starts with parents who are overly busy and self-centered, too. How many times do we see a parent who is ignoring his kid's behavior simply because he is checking his Facebook status? Grown ups are either too busy making money to survive/have more material goods and that little time they got left they still want to spend on themselves rather than on their offspring. So we shouldn't really blame this generation for the sad state of affairs but look back to what happened in the past, how come we have a whole generation of 20 to 40 year olds who are so engrossed in themselves that they forget to parent. Maybe then our grandparents did something that affected us? Perhaps it started with an advent of preschool system that delegates some of the parental jobs to strangers? How is it possible that parents don't think it is their duty to prepare their kids for school anymore? Today people get so overwhelmed with preschool choices to assure their kid's bright future while in fact all the kids need is a loving parent.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)