jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

Do you feel its right for today's kids to feel "entitled"?

1. Alastar Packer profile image82
    Alastar Packerposted 7 years ago

Do you feel its right for today's kids to feel "entitled"?

2. Sinea Pies profile image76
    Sinea Piesposted 7 years ago

Absolutely not. Entitlement is an attitude that leads to dependency and stifles creativity. A good wage for a good day's work is a great expectation but America is built on people who invested themselves in a cause bigger than themselves.  The right outcome was their pay. Entitlement wasn't in their thinking.

3. DexisView profile image74
    DexisViewposted 7 years ago

I'll answer your question with a question....Why do they feel entitled?  hmmmm.....maybe those who had a hand in teaching them what hard work is all about failed them.  Parents that pay for too much and don't teach the basics of earning have to take some responsibility.  Entitlement is a trait you learn from those that surround you.

4. Alastar Packer profile image82
    Alastar Packerposted 7 years ago

DexisView, as an example, a couple years ago went to an outdoor birth-day party for one three year old; 60 some adults and I don't know how many other children were there...all for this one little boy. I'ii hold my tongue on how he acts now.

5. Hyphenbird profile image92
    Hyphenbirdposted 7 years ago

They should not feel entitled or be entitled. Some parents are creating a false perspective for their children. It will be a tough wake up when the world does not just hand over success and validation.
    I give my son a safe home, healthy food, limited toys and entertainment and unlimited love. He is not entitled to a car when he is 16 or a college education at 18. He may get them as a gift not because it is expected.

6. Blogger Sumon profile image58
    Blogger Sumonposted 7 years ago

Of course not my friend... they should not do that

7. The Frog Prince profile image78
    The Frog Princeposted 7 years ago

We have created a trap within this society and the ongoing "what's in it for me?" attitude that is being fostered needs to be broken.  It is rooted in permissiveness and the lack of not saying how to say "NO" to your children.

8. DonDWest profile image61
    DonDWestposted 7 years ago

Don't worry, by the time they become adults, they'll become pushovers. Why? Because when people are handed everything during their childhood, they don't know how to deal with adversity. Their employers will pay little and they'll gladly play along just to avoid conflict.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Bait-And-Switch … pt-Low-Pay

9. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 7 years ago

No. Once children believe they are entitled to something, they will want something else. It is one of the reasons people are never satisfied, especially people with lots of money. They will believe that they deserve the best and only the best, when that is not altogether true. Instead of working for something, they will just demand it.

10. Monisajda profile image73
    Monisajdaposted 7 years ago

Entitled to being seen as humans and treated as ones - yes. Entitled to having all material things they desire, to running the show - no. Children need love and a feeling of safety rather than stuff. I don't think we need to make them feel as if they own the world.
    But I have to say that from a perspective of a foreigner, a lot of Americans in their twenties seem to me "entitled". Young people act as if they absolutely deserve everything even if it means hurting other people's feelings.

11. tenordj profile image77
    tenordjposted 7 years ago

I dont think so. If they dont learn to earn their keep then, one day life will catch them square in the face and Mom, Dad, Grandma, or Grandpa wont be there to help them out anymore.

12. Mother of Zeno profile image58
    Mother of Zenoposted 7 years ago

Speaking as one of "today's kids", for I am 17 going on 18 in three months, it is not right, per say, however it is what's taught to our generation. In school students are taught that they can be whatever they want, which isn't necessarily a bad thing GIVEN THAT the student's mindset is to work toward that goal. When kids are raised without any personal responsibility this becomes a problem, and I see it all of the time in high school classrooms. Girls think they can have, do, and say whatever they want because
    1. They are "women"
    2. Mommy and Daddy said they could
    Young men expect good grades and a driver's license to be handed to them because their parents can pay for it.
    I'm not saying that wealth is the root of the problem, but if a child isn't made to work for their rewards it becomes a habit that they carry on into their professional lives.
    You also have to recognize, however, whether or not there really is a sense of entitlement in some of these kids or if they've simply been blessed  with sheer good luck. Maybe they don't feel entitled at all. Maybe they just haven't had to honestly prove themselves yet. I am a teen parent, married, and i own a home. I have beautiful furniture, electronics, clothes, etc. and I have not had to work for any of it.It hasn't made me feel entitled, though. In fact I feel a sense of humility because most of the nice things I have were given to me out of charity, or found on the side of the road. I feel blessed, not entitled, and I feel like the two are often mistaken. I'm not disagreeing that there is a problem amongst my generation, simply offering what little wisdom I have on the matter.

13. LeeWalls profile image59
    LeeWallsposted 7 years ago

Unfortunately the reason why kids think they're entitled is because many times they grew up believing they deserve it and what you now have are a bunch of ungrateful, disrepectful, arrogant individuals that act as if the world revolved around them until they're slapped with reality; it's not about them.

14. JayDee Sterling profile image61
    JayDee Sterlingposted 7 years ago

No. Children need to be taught responsibility and accountability and they need to learn about respect of people, places and things, especially the money thing.  They also need to be taught about work, earnings, they need to know about what entitlement is and what it isn't.  Just because they are here society has impressed upon them that life is all about them. Which it is not.  It isn't about any of us, some adults haven't connected the dots on that apsect so it would be difficult for them to pass it along to their offspring. Difficult or not, no one is entitled to anything.

working