When doing genealogy, how do you deal with differing facts?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. oceansnsunsets profile image83
    oceansnsunsetsposted 11 years ago

When doing genealogy, how do you deal with differing facts?

When trying to stay factual, it can be difficult when records give varying information.  For instance, the census results can even differ!  Birth certificates and those facts can differ from other official records.  I didn't expect things to be that way. 

So how do you deal with such discrepancies, while trying to only go with the facts?  If you have any thoughts or suggestions, they would be most welcome!

2. lj gonya profile image56
    lj gonyaposted 11 years ago

When census records and birth certificates differ, go with the birth certificate. Census takers were not always the most accurate fact finders, and then too, people often lied about their ages when asked. Some times, comparing ages on several census records for various years can pinpoint a correct age. Collect all of the data, including dates on tombstones, and the obituaries, and go with the date that is the most prevalent.

3. Chris Wibberley profile image59
    Chris Wibberleyposted 11 years ago

Look at the source and ask is it a primary source, that is something created at the time it happened. Usually the primary source should be preferred. However one has to bear in mind that people don't always tell the truth when, say registering a birth or getting married!
    If we are talking about the UK then as ij gonya says census returns  aren't always accurate. They are not a primary source (apart from the returns we see from 1911.) The enumerator extracted information off the returns and entered them into his summary book which is what we see, lots of room for error (apart from institutions, but they had their own problems regarding accuracy!).
    Lots of room for error when people were getting married or registering a death given that there was a high rate of illiteracy and much of the information was given orally to the Registrar or clergymen and there was not always consistency as to how names were spelt
    It isn't always a case of deciding that the most records giving a certain piece of information must be right as quite a few people went to some lengths to hide the true facts about themselves.
    In short you need to weigh up all the evidence and decide why perhaps a particular entry goes against the general flow.

4. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

I list all of the facts in my family tree software, even if they do not agree with each other. You just never know when the oddball fact gives you a clue to something else, or may be the correct one.  Even if someone's birth certificate gives a particular age of an ancestor, if she always told everyone she was ten years younger, then that is what everyone will believe.  That is an interesting fact that tells you about her. 

I think all the records together give you a more accurate story, just just about the particular person, but about the people around her.  If she had a child when she was 16, her lie about being ten years younger is not going to stand the facts about human development.

As to which one to believe, I believe records that are closest to the event, and the ones that are completed by people who are more likely to know. A death certificate is likely to be accurate for a death date but not as accurate for the birth date. Primary records trump secondary records most of the time.

5. JamaGenee profile image77
    JamaGeneeposted 11 years ago

I never accept one instance of "fact" as "carved in stone".  (Tombstones LIE, btw.) I once followed the ancestor of a friend through six censuses and the guy never gave the same (appropriate) age in any of them. Finally got his true birth year from his military records. 

One of my grandkids' relatives knocked four years off her age on her passport app, but that was before birth certs were required to get one. I  knew she'd lied about her age because not only did I have a pic of her as a toddler that included other toddlers whose ages I could verify, but I looked up the announcement of her birth on a microfilm of the local newspaper! 

Family tradition stated one of my grandfathers died on his 59th birthday, which if true made him born in 1871.  He really DID die on his birthday, but I found him as an 8-month-old in the 1870 census, meaning he died on his 61st, not his 59th. I don't put much stock in ages on censuses, but they won't list someone not yet born!

6. ancestralstory profile image60
    ancestralstoryposted 11 years ago

I agree with lj gonja - but another point is always put more weight into a record an ancestor has written themselves if available. If not, the next best thing is one 'witnessed' by the ancestor (such as birth and marriage certificates). In regards to death certificates check to see who supplied the information - a parent, sibling or spouse of the deceased is usually most accurate with children and grandchildren being a bit less accurate and nurses, neighbours etc. being quite inaccurate! This isn't always the case, but it is good to keep in mind.

Another point is that census records have been written by the member of the household, then transcribed by a enumerator then transcribed again in online indexes. Make sure you look at the closest transcription to the source (which is the image of the record itself). The 1911 UK census record is the one most likely to be accurate as the original forms filled out by the ancestors exist and can be viewed online.

Remember to take into account illiteracy as well!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)